click here for the home page of OKGenWeb


The Slave Narrative Collection
An OKGenWeb Special Project

Nancy Rogers Bean
Ex Slave
Age about 82
Hulbert, Okla.
Interviewed 10-19-1938
Page 12-13

        Iím getting old and itís easy to forget most of the happenings of salve days; anyway I was to little to know much about them, for my mammy told me I was born bout six years before the War. My folks was on their way to Fort Gibson, and on the trip I was born at Boggy Depot, down in southern Oklahoma

        There were a lot of us children; I got their names somewheres here. Yes, there was George, Sarah, Emma, Stella, Sylvia, Lucinda, Rose, Dan, Pamp, Jeff, Austin, Jessie, Isaac and Andrew; we all lived in a one-room log cabin on Master Rogersí place not far from the old military road near Choteau. Mammy was raised around the Cherokee town of Tahlequah.

        I got my name from the Rogerí, but I was loaned around to their relatives most of the time. I helped around the house for Bill McCracken, then I was with Cornelius and Carline Wright, and when I was freed my Mistress was a Mrs. OíNeal, wife of the officer at Fort Gibson. She treated me the best of all and gave me the first doll I ever had. It was a rag doll with charcoal eyes and red thread worked in for the mouth. She allowed me one hour every day to play with it. When the War ended Mistress OíNeal wanted to take me with her to Richmond, Virginia, but my people wouldnít let me go. I wanted to stay with her, she was so good, and she promised to come back for me when I get older, but she never did.

        All the time I was at the fort I hear the bugles and see the soldiers marching around, but never did I see any battles. The fighting must have been to far away.

        Master Rogers kept all our family together, but my folks have told me about how the slaves was sold. One of my aunts was a mean, fighting women. She was to be sold and when the bidding started she grabbed a hatchet, laid her hand on a log and chopped it off. Then she throwed the bleeding hand right in the masterís face. Not long ago I hear she is still living in the country around Nowata, Oklahoma.

        Sometimes I would try to get mean, but always I got me a whipping for it. When I was a little girl, moving around from one family to another, I done housework, ironing, peeling potatoes and helping the main cook. I went barefoot most of my life, but the master would get his shoes from the government at Fort Gibson.

        I wore cotton dresses, and the Mistress wore long dresses, with different colors for Sunday Clothes, but us slaves didnít know much about Sunday in the religious way. The Master had a brother who used to preach to the Negroes on the sly. One time he was caught and the Master whipped him something awful.

        Years ago I married Joe Bean. Our children died as babies. Twenty years ago Joe Bean and I separated for good and all.

        The good Lord knows Iím glad slavery is over. Now I can stay peaceful in one place --- Thatís all I aim to do.

Contributed by M. Dawson, May 2002

© 2018 OKGenWeb

updated 01/10/2016

Linda Simpson, State Coordinator
Mel Owings, Assistant Coordinator