Birth & Death information from 1912-1919

Moderator: amakerney

Sandy20

Birth & Death information from 1912-1919

Post by Sandy20 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:00 pm

My husbands G-Mother (MARTHA VIOLA HOLT) & two youngest children (ARVID MARTIN HOLT Jr. & FRANCES E. HOLT) died between Apr & Aug 1919 during one of the epidemics. I do not know if it was Flu or Smallpox. About 12 years ago the owners of the Mt.Olivet Cemetery was gracious enough to show us the actual cemetery books where ARVID MARTIN HOLT purchased the plots. I did not have a digital camera at that time & did not think to take a picture of the book or pictures of the beautiful entrance or the graves. At the time I believe there were the brick size markers for the children.

In the last few years, these bricks have been cleaned & replaced. I have gotten documentation of all the cemetery information.

I have been to OK City to get the Death Certificates for any of the three. They of course took my money and then kept asking me "Are you sure they died in Hugo, Choctaw CO.". We then went back to Hugo and no one there has any record of their deaths.

Does anyone have any suggestion how to get some documentation or where to go from here for Death or Birth information?

There were 2 sons born in Hugo:
THURMAN HOLT, B 1912-B April 28 or 29, 1916 buried in Springs Chapel Cemetery - I have a newspaper article from the Choctaw Herald dated May 04, 1916 about his death & burial.
BURNICE SHULL HOLT, B May 7, 1914 in Hugo.

In the 1920 Census A.M.Holt with his remaining children lived on West Clayton RD.. ARVID MARTIN HOLT worked for the Ice Plant and delivered ice. My husbands father-AUBRY LEE HOLT-helped his father deliver ice. Does anyone have a picture of the Ice Plant?
Sandra McCandless Holt
s.m.holt@sbcglobal.net

amakerney

Re: Birth & Death information from 1912-1919

Post by amakerney » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:11 am

Hi Sandra,

Okchocta has a photo of the Hugo Ice and Light Company in 1910.
http://www.okgenweb.org/~okchocta/photo ... orical.htm

It is in the fifth row, third from the left.
April Makerney
Choctaw County Moderator

Return to “Choctaw County”