The Kansas/Kanza/Kaw Nation
William Borst, of Emporia, left, and Sharon Haun, of Council Grove, admire the 35-foot-high monument, which was erected in 1925 and entombs a Kaw warrior's remains that were found on the land southeast of Council Grove.
The "Unknown Kaw Monument," a thirty-five-foot high stone spire local citizens built in 1925 as a tribute to the memory of the Kaws presence in the area. This commemorative act was prompted by the discovery of a warriors remains exposed by cut bank erosion in a nearby streambed. The warrior and his burial paraphernalia were re-interred in the base of the monument in August 1925 during an elaborate dedication ceremony attended by several members of the Kaw tribe.