The Daily Ardmoreite
Ardmore, Carter County, Oklahoma

Sunday, June 2, 1912

Shooting Affray Near Pooleville
At about 8:45 yesterday morning, TOM F. FOGLE, living near Pooleville, shot and is thought to have fatally wounded R. G. HARMON, his nearest neighbor. Telephone calls for officers and physicians were responded to by deputies FRED WILLIAMS and WILLIAM ROGERS of the sheriff’s office and by Dr. BOOTH of this city and Dr. AMERSON of Milo. County attorney MATHERS accompanied the officers who left this city shortly after nine o’clock in an automobile. 

The facts in the case as they were gleamed from the party upon their return from the scene of the tragedy late last evening were substantially as follows: HARMON, who owns a farm of some 200 acres has no division fence separating his land from adjacent land, being cultivated by FOGLE. Four of Harmon’s mules got out Friday night and got into Fogle’s corn. When Harmon sent two negro men, who were working for him after the mules yesterday morning, Fogle refused to give them up until damages of $4 were paid. The negroes returned to tell their employer of this and Fogle, who was plowing corn in his field, left his team and going to his house, armed himself with a 38 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver and returned to his work. 

When Harmon, accompanied by the two negro hired men, came out into the field, Harmon made a demand on Fogle for his mules. Fogle repeated his demand for the $4, the amount he claimed for damages done by the mules to his growing crop. Harmon told him that he did not have that amount with him and that he was going to have his mules. He started towards Fogle’s house and Fogle drew his revolver and fired, the ball entering the left side of the victim, grazing the back of his left arm. The bullet ranged downward from the place of penetration, near the ninth rib and after puncturing the intestines lodged in the left side. Harmon ran a few feet toward his home after being shot and fell. The negroes picked him up and carried him a short distance, but desisted in their efforts to get home and called in some neighbors who helped to carry the remained of the distance. He has been unconscious since the shooting. Drs. BOOTH and AMERSON made a careful examination of the wound and probed for the ball, but were unable to locate it. Both these gentlemen concur in the opinion that the wound is serious, in fact they think it is almost necessarily fatal. 

After shooting Harmon, Fogle left his team standing and went to his home. After telling his wife what he had done and telling one of his sons to go into the field and bring in the team, which were standing in the field as he had left them, hitched to the cultivator, he disappeared into the timber surrounding his farm. He had not been apprehended up to a late hour last night, but it is thought he has not gone far from the scene of the crime. The country in which he is hiding on what is known as Bear Creek and is very broken and rugged, and heavily timbered, and parties say that one familiar with the section could remain in hiding indefinitely with scarcely a fear of detection. 

Both men have wives and large families and is said by their neighbors that they have always been on good terms. Their houses are not over a quarter of a mile apart. Both men are old and well known residents of the portion of the county where the tragedy occurred. 

Monday, June 3, 1912

Sheriff BUCK GARRETT, accompanied by Dr. Booth and deputy FRED WILLIAMS, and assistant prosecutor BLEAKMORE, went to Pooleville to the scene of Saturday’s shooting. Reports from that place received just before going to press that R. G. HARMON, who was shot, is resting easier than anticipated. If the bullet can be located and removed, then Mr. Harmon may have a fighting chance for his life. 

Healdton, June 1: The two sons of Rev. S. F. MURPHY of Ardmore are here to visit their sister Mrs. BEN HEALD. LUM BARRINGTON is here after his cattle interests. ALEX HAMMONDS of Cornish was here. CLIFFORD, little son of TOM BENNETT, was badly burned on his hand and may lose the use of it. 

Fogle Gives Up for Shooting Harmon
TOM FOGLE, who shot and seriously wounded R. G. HARMON in a quarrel over the breaking into Fogle’s field by stock belonging to Harmon, came in Sunday morning and surrendered to officers. 

When seen at the jail by an Ardmoreite reporter, Fogle stated the reason he avoid the officers who were searching for him, was that he wanted to hire someone to cultivate his crop and look after things while he would be confined pending a hearing…my oldest boy is only 14 years old and could not manage the crop… after I secured the services of neighbor boys, I started to Ardmore to surrender to sheriff Buck Garrett. … I was fully 25 miles from where I started to Ardmore when I was taking short cuts… no desire to hide,… a horseman, J. W. JOHNSON, know him personally, asked where I was going…told him I was going to surrender to the sheriff… he asked if I wanted him to hitch up to his buggy and ..I would appreciate it… we got to his house and he hitched a horse to the buggy and we both got in and on to town. We stopped at a Mrs. COTTON’S in the suburbs of Ardmore and got our breakfast. While there I asked Mr. Johnson to telephone to Mr. Garrett that I was in town and to tell him I would be at CATHEY’S livery stable in a few minutes….W. B. JOHNSON has been retained to defend him. 

Champion Long Distance Walker

A.C. LIGHTFOOT has walked 15,000 miles and made a purse of $32,000 and ends his long walk in Ardmore and will give a lecture in the Theatorium tonight. While on this walk, he met a woman of his choice, a beautiful Kentucky girl, and married here. She has walked more than 2000 miles on her honeymoon trip. Lightfoot formerly lived here and was employed with W. B. FRAME at the City Drug Store. He started on his trip from Jacksonville, Florida January 2, 1911 and married Dec. 24 in Kentucky… brother of attorney general LIGHTFOOT of Texas, a cousin to J. W. RICHARDSN of the Ardmore State Bank. He and DON RUSSELL of the First National Bank were reared together…

Asks Aids for Little Ones
Mrs. A. A. CURTIS, county probation officer, has in charge three little girls, ages 11, 9 and 7, whom she will take to the Children’s Protective Association at Guthrie. There are two little boys to be taken to the Boys’ Training school at Pauls Valley… need clothing, hats, and shoes for them…

Tuesday, June 4, 1912

SUSHE HOSH, wife of STEPHEN HOSH, was buried at Woodford. She died of pneumonia. 

Wednesday, June 5, 1912

Lone Grove, June 4: IVY COFFEY of Comanche was here visiting relatives. Mr. and Mrs. WOOD HERNDON from Ardmore attended the children’s day services. RUTH and PAUL SULLIVAN returned from college at Shawnee. Mrs. BERTHA BASHAM and children returned from Shawnee to spend the summer with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. HEFLIN. Mrs. COLLEGE and children are visiting Mrs. SAM ARNOLD. IRA ARNOLD is at Marietta working for the Iowa oil people. Miss SELMA BABER and Mrs. ETTA FLENCHER of this place are teaching a music class at HIGNIGHT school house. Mrs. D. J. CANNON is out again, recovering from a broken ankle. 

Murderous Locomotive

Tulsa, June 4: A brand new railroad engine making its first run on the Frisco killed two men and fatally injured a third in the first hundred miles of its initial run. The train left Oklahoma City Sunday afternoon and on its arrival at Tulsa at 9 o’clock it had run over and killed CLYDE ROSS at Stroud, SAM DAVIS at Kellyville and fatally injured TOM NELSON at Sapulpa. 

Provence, June 4: Thieves broke into the VOLINO Bros. store and help themselves to merchandise and cash. JAMES MATHERS of Ardmore addressed a crowd at the school house. Mrs. FORD and daughter Mrs. CORDIE JOHNSON sold out here and will move to Karnes City, Texas. ROBERT FINLEY is ill with typhoid. Dr. and Mrs. DENHAM are rejoicing over the arrival of a fine boy at their home. 

Friday, June 7, 1912

Sheriff Kills Deputy
Waurika, June 6: BILLY CAMPBELL, deputy sheriff, was shot and killed by sheriff JOHN WRIGHT at 9 o’clock this morning in front of the sheriff’s office here, following a quarrel over a promissory note to which the signatures of both men were attached as endorsers. The two men, who have heretofore been the best of friends,… The dead man was 40 years old and leaves a wife and three children. 

Tuesday, June 12, 1912

Hewitt, June 10: Mrs. EMIL COLBERT entertained some young folks Saturday night. Mr. and Mrs. DICK WORSHAM have a baby girl born the 9th. Mr. and Mrs. PARDUE are visiting her parents at Loco. Mrs. GEORGE DRUMMOND is sick. JIM MATHERS of Ardmore spoke on behalf of the candidacy of CHARLES N. HASKELL, then CHARLIE JONES gave a reply in favor of R. L. OWEN. LEE TODD, a candidate for county weigher, returned from a trip north and east in the county. Lee is a good boy and because he is crippled, he deserves the consideration of the voters. JEFF MICHAEL of near Joiner passed through here going back to Grayson County. Hewitt had a graveyard working last Friday, plenty of workers and a nice dinner spread. 

Wednesday, June 12, 1912

Death from Apolexy
Mrs. CATHERINE WAGLEY GRANT, wife of mayor Grant, died at the family home, 417 West Third St., last midnight. Death was due an immediate stroke of apoplexy pronounced by Dr. J. B. ROLATER who arrived 30 minutes after the attack and a few minutes before the death. … the illness was a surprise..

Wichita Falls, Texas, June 11: Tetanus, resulting from a splinter in her heel, caused the death of CEBA FLETCHER, 13 years old. The injury was considered trivial, then lockjaw developed. They parents reside in the country seven miles from town. 

Will Visit Old Home
Mrs. N. M. TUCKER, formerly of Ardmore, now of Toyah, Texas, will arrive, guest of her son, superintendent of public instruction, F. E. TUCKER. 

Thursday, June 13, 1912

Death of Dr. G. W. GRAY
Dr. G. W. GRAY passed away last evening at the residence of his son, Rev. C. R. GRAY on B St. NE. Dr. Gray came here to visit his son about a week ago. He has been in failing health for some time and seemed to succumb to the fatigue of his journey from his home in Terrell, Texas… A daughter, Mrs. W. H. WREN of Amarillo, Texas, who had been notified by wire of the serious condition of her father, arrived yesterday and she and her brother were at the bedside when the last summons came. Funeral services were held at the Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church, of which the son is the pastor, this morning. Rev. U. T. WITT, presiding elder, officiated. The remains were taken to Terrell for interment… Dr. Gray was born in Tennessee 72 years ago, graduate of the medical department of the university of that state and served four years in the hospital corps of the Confederate Army. He moved to Texas 30 years ago and was at the time of his death the oldest member of the W. O. W. in Kaufman County. Three children survive him, Rev. C. R. GRAY of Ardmore, Mrs. W. H. WINN of Amarillo, Texas, and J. D. GRAY Jr. of Natchez, Miss. His wife died 10 years ago. 

Friday, June 14, 1912

Mrs. CHARLES FANN went to Prosper, Texas to be with her father, J. B. SMITH, who is sick.
J. S. SKAGGS, one of the successful farmers of the Newport section, was here on business. 
J. P. MORAN, justice of the peace, and JOHN CORBETT, constable from Berwyn, were here. 

The Man on the Street
S. M. PARKER returned this morning from Lone Grove where he went yesterday to attend the funeral of Miss BRIDGES, 17 year old daughter of J. R. BRIDGES. Mr. Parker says the young lady was most popular and the funeral was one of the largest he had seen. 

Sunday, June 16, 1912

D. J. CANNON was here from Lone Grove. He has been ill for the past three months. 
IRA HAMMER, a prosperous farmer from Brock, was here on business. 
Prof. ROBERT MICHAEL was in from Fox. 
J.A. TRAIL, farmer and stockraiser, came in from Glenn. 
Mrs. WILL TACKETT of Fort Worth is visiting Mrs. JOHN LOVELY is critically ill at her home on F St. NW. 
CLAY RUSSELL was here from Hewitt and reports conditions favorable there. 
Mrs. A. W. TANKERSLEY of Fort Worth is visiting her twin sister Mrs. BEN SCOTT. 

The Man on the Street
CHARLES WORTHAM, custodian of the Chickasaw Lake, was discharged from the Hardy sanitarium. 
FLOYD FREDERICK, while seining for minnows, cut his foot and was treated at Hardy sanitarium. 
WILLIAM POWERS of the sheriff’s office located a bunch of booze on a Santa Fe train, shipped in a trunk and came as baggage. 
RAT RICKETTS was here buying lumber to build a home on his place near Graham. 
Uncle MARK HANNA was here from Overbrook. He is making a race for sheriff in his county. 

One Hundredth Anniversary (long article)
SUSIE SMITH WHITTLE will celebrate her 100th birthday at the Confederate Home. (the article describes her early life with interesting details)… she was 15 years old when she married Mr. MCCLOUD who had six motherless children, then after his death, she married Mr. Blair(?), after his death, she married M. C. WHITTLE, April 23, 1851 just after the war with Mexico. They moved to Mississippi and had five children, he served in the Confederate Army… Mr. Whittle came home from the war. Sixteen years ago they moved to Durant and have been in the Home since it opened. Mr. Whittle is ten years younger than she… have 90 living grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and three of the fifth generation… 

Monday, June 16, 1912

Double Murder then Suicide
Madill, June 16: County attorney J. O. MINTER and sheriff GRAY returned Saturday from Willis where they were called to investigate a double murder and suicide. WILEY JONES, about 4:00 Friday afternoon, armed with a pistol and went to the home of GEORGE BOWLES. … Jones shot him four times, then went to the home of EBB NOLEN, called him out and shot him. Then went to the home of HENRY BOURLAND and tried to get him, but Mrs. Bourland led Jones to believe that her husband was not there. Jones went home. Saturday morning he went to the drug store and procured strychnine and chloroform… took it and died.

Healdton, June 15: The horse of Mrs. M. H. INGRAM, who with her daughters RUBY and CLYTHE, was returning home, ran way with them and demolished the buggy and injured them. Dr. Smith says there is no serious injury. SHORTY HOLMAN was here. Miss LUCILLE ORME is visiting her sister Mrs. DENA BEST at Pauls Valley. 

Wednesday, June 19, 1912

Arrested on a Murder Charge
Sheriff PHILLIPS of Atoka arrested CHARLES E. LEWIS for killing WILLIAM PAGE at the RODGERS saw mill eight miles from Stringtown. J. C. HAZLITT, father-in-law of LEWIS, was with the officer when the arrest was made near Marietta in Love County…

Lone Grove, June 18: MAUDE BIGBIE and INA WEBB returned from college at Sulphur. RALPH MCELROY and FRANK TANNER went to work in the wheat harvest in Tillman County. LETCHER HARPER and family will move Hewitt where he will go into business. Mrs. OSCAR PASCHALL of Marsden is visiting relatives here. EARL BYRD is going into business here. T. H. CANNON and wife visited his brother D. J. CANNON. Miss JOSEPHINE YOAKUM is visiting her sister Mrs. JAMES TANNER in Ardmore. GAITHER and BEATRICE CAIN attended the big ice cream supper.

Friday, June 21, 1912

Texas Tragedy
Sherman, Texas, June 20: Four people are dead at SPERRY’S ranch 12 ½ miles southwest of Sherman. The dead are: L. W. SHARP, age 66; WILLIAM F. SHARP, age 28, son of L. W.; Miss GEORGIA SHARP, daughter of L. W.; and RUSSELL WALDROP, 18, grandson of L. W. Sharp. The wounded are HENRY T. WALDROP, age 41, his wife, Mrs. Waldrop, who is a daughter of L. W. Sharp. Henry Waldrop and his brother-in-law, WALTER F. SHARP had a misunderstanding over a settlement of clearing some land and a fight resulted between Russell Waldrop and Walter F. Sharp… the two families agreed to sever relations… then another fight… Russell Waldrop will be buried at Friendship cemetery west of Sherman. L. W. Sharp, son and daughter will be buried in the White Mountains burying ground east of Sherman. The elder Sharp is survived by his widow, Mrs. EMILY SHARP and three sons and three daughters. WALTER SHARP is survived by his widow, one small child and two stepchildren. Henry Waldrop, who acknowledges killing the three Sharps, is a highly respected farmer and has resided in Grayson County for 37 years, a native of Alabama. L. W. Sharp was a native of Alabama, moving to Wood County 23 years ago and to Grayson County 12 years ago. Bond for $1000 for Waldrop was readily signed by his neighbors. 

Taken to Asylum
MANUEL FERES, the Mexican farmer who became insane from becoming overheated in his oat field, was taken to the state hospital by deputy FRED WILLIAMS. 

Sunday, June 23, 1912

The Man on the Street
Mrs. J. H. AKERS is very sick from fever. 
Mrs. B. F. MILLS, who recently suffered a loss at her home by fire, received her insurance money promptly. 
Marriage license to: J. W. JONES, age 21 and Miss ROSE HICKMAN, age 18, both of Springer. 
WILLIAM LEE TEMPLE, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. C. A. TEMPLE, died yesterday at the family home. Interment will be at Rose Hill cemetery.
J. R. WADDINGTON, arrested yesterday by deputy WILLIAM POWERS, for shooting at DICK CAMPBELL at his home, was released on bond. 
Miss SARAH HENDERSON of Texas is the guest of Mr. and Mrs. SHELTON TYER. They will visit her uncle J. W. ORME at Healdton.