Cemeteries | Photos | Researcher | Pioneers | Records | Schools | Census |
Established Febraury 1869 as Camp Wichita, which was later named Fort Sill by General Philip H. Sheridan in honor of General Joshua Sill
The Last Indian lands in Oklahoma opened for settlement in 1901 and 29,000
homesteaders registered at Fort Sill during July for the land lottery.
On August 6 the town of Lawton sprang up and quickly grew to become the third largest city in Oklahoma.
Fort Sill remains the only active Army installation on the South Plains built during the Indian wars. It serves as a nation historic landmark and home of the Field Artillery for the free world.
History of Fort Sill