Albia: located in eastern Craig County
six miles south of Afton; township 25 North, range 21 East. A post
office was established July 15, 1899,i the Postmaster appointed was Charles
F. Melton. The name of the post office was changed to "Todd" January
Banzet: a post office located in northern Craig
County eight miles northwest of Welch (Sec. 3 T28N R19E) from June 28,
1922 to September 30, 1937. It was named for Sam E. Banzet, an early-day
Big Cabin: the post office was established August
21,1871 and S.T. Rogers was appointed first postmaster. Located in
Sec. 25 T25N R19E.
Bluejacket: the post office was established
March 3, 1882, named for Rev. Charles Bluejacket who was the first postmaster.
Location: Sec. 20-29 T27N R21E.
Centralia: post office established April 11,
1899 with George W. Jamison appointed postmaster. Location: Sec.
26 T27N R18E. Its name comes from Centralia, Illinois.
Couch: post office established June 23, 1900.
The first postmaster to be appointed was Marion W. Couch. The post
office was discontinued February 16, 1901 and mail went to Chelsea.
An order to re-establish the post office June 23, 1905 was rescinded September
5, 1905. Location: T24N R19E.
Eagle: Located 8 miles southwest of Welch, the
post office was established June 30, 1890, closed August 14, 1906, The
first postmaster was Joseph F. Kenworthy. Location: T27N R20E.
Estella: Post office was established December
28, 1900 and John Franklin was appoint-ed the first postmaster. Location:
8 miles northwest of Vinita, Sec. 5 T25N R19E.
Flanders: The post office was in existence from
July 10, 1913 until October 31, 1914, Located in the extreme northern part
of the county. Location: Sec. 31 T29N R18E.
Gwenndale: Post office established 5 miles west
of Vinita on May 10, 1892 with James E. Wolfe named first postmaster.
The post office was discontinued March 31, 1904 and mail was dispersed
from Vinita. Location: Sec. 14 T25N R19E.
Hollow: post office was established nine miles
west of Welch June 20,1904. Appointed postmaster was Robert C. Mount.
The post office closed April 30, 1938. Location: Sec. 28 T28N R19B.
Hudson: The post office opened November 13,
1886, with David Martin being appointed the first postmaster. The
post office was named to honor a local merchant, Louis G. Huddleston, with
the name being modified. Located 13 miles west of Welch; Sec. 25
Kelso: post office established July 8, 1898,
and named for William C. Kelso, a rodeo rider. The first postmaster
was Mary C. Ingram. The post office closed October 30, 1920.
Location: six miles northeast of Vinita, Sec. 25 T26N R20E.
Ketchum: post office established September 15,
1899, named for a longtime local resident, James Ketchum. The first
postmaster was Jesse M. Gailman. Located in southeast Craig County:
Sec. 26 T24 N R21E.
Keys: post office established December 3, 1890
named for the first postmaster, Lucy S. Keys. The post office was
discontinued December 24, 1894, mail went to Vinita. Location: in
southeast Craig County, T24N R21R.
Kinnison: post office
established September 13, 1886, named for Presley Bell Kinnison, the first
postmaster. Post office closed February 28, 1922. Location:
Sec. 7 T28N R20E.
Lightning Creek: The post office was established
December 14, 1911, located about 8 miles northeast of a former post office
bearing the same name. The earlier Lightning Creek post office was
established October 23, 1872 in Nowata County, but the name was changed
to Al-lu-we June 27, 1883. Both post offices took their names from
the same creek, a tributary of the Verdigris River. The post office
in Craig County had Henry Armstrong as its first postmaster. It closed
November 30, 1913. It was located in western Craig County, 9 miles
north of Chelsea, See. 5 T25N R18E.
Lucas: post office established November 1, 1892,
the first postmaster was William M. McGee. The post office was changed
to Centralia April 11, 1899. Location: in north-west Craig County,
Sec. 26 T27N R18E.
Miles: Post office from March 29, 1892 until
September 30, 1935. It was named for J.B. Miles, a prominent early-day
resident. The first postmaster was Charles H. Strait. Location:
Eleven miles northwest of Vinita, Sec. 33 T27N R19E. The building
where the post office was located was occupied until October 1983.
Okoee: Post office from October 22, 1901 to
July 31, 1913. John M. Tucker was appointed the first postmaster.
The name is from the Cherokee word "Uwagahi" meaning "passion flower vine."
Location: three miles north of Ketchum, Sec. 32 T24N R21E.
Rud: post office established February 25, 1903
and discontinued effective November 15,1906, when the mail went to Afton.
Arthur Chamley was appointed the first postmaster. Location: Sec.
2 T26N R21E.
Russell Creek: see "Wasson."
Timber Hill: Post office established February
25, 1903 when Charles J. Schuth was appointed postmaster. Post office
discontinued effective December 15, 1905 when mail went to Welch.
Location: 11 miles north of Vinita.
Todd: Earlier called "Albia." Post office was
named for Lee Todd, a local early-day resident. It became "Todd Post
Office" June 9, 1909 and was discontinued February 15, 1930. Location:
in eastern Craig County, Sec. 9 T25N R21E.
Vinita: Post office established September 13,1871.
William H. Campbell was appointed as the first postmaster. The post
office did not operate from November 25, 1872 to December 16, 1872 according
to the "Chronicles of Oklahoma." Location: T25N R20E.
Wasson: A post office from May 24, 1892 until
August 15,1906, known also as "Russell Creek." The post office was named
for F.H. Wasson, a local merchant. George Datinsky was appointed
as first postmaster. The post office did not operate from January
10, 1896 to June 12, 1898 according to the "Chronicles of Oklahoma." Location:
in northeast Craig County six miles north of Welch.
Welch: The post office was established July
13, 1892 with Benjamin F. Brookshire appointed as the first postmaster.
It was named for A.L. Welch, a railroad official. Location: Sec.
30 T28N R21E.
White Oak: Post office established October 31,
1898 with Bates B. Burnett appointed to be the first postmaster.
The post office closed October 31, 1957. Location: seven miles west
of Vinita, Sec. 27 T25N R19E.
Wimer: A post office from December 20, 1899
until May 31,1933. The first postmaster was Joseph Allen. The
post office was named for Dr. James Wimer, an early-day resident.
Location: 12 miles northeast of Lenapah, Sec. 30 T28N R18E.
Woodley: Post office established October 19,
1897. First postmaster was William O'Neil. The post office
was discontinued June 29, 1907, the mail going to Vinita. Location:
Sec. 20 T26N R20E.
to History Index