- Historic Homes
The Original Will Rogers Rodeo,
held every August, is the only rodeo which Will Rogers specifically asked
to be held in his name. Having attended college in Vinita, Rogers wanted
a rodeo held here for him to come home to. Tragically, he was killed in
a plane crash just weeks before his first namesake rodeo. The event has
been held in his honor every year since.
Vinita hosts The World's Largest Calf
Festival and Cook Off in September. An annual event since 1979, this
festival draws thousands from a four-state area. This is the Mecca for
calf fry connoisseurs and arts and crafts people.
VINITA - COUNTY SEAT
OF CRAIG COUNTY
The Craig County Courthouse
was created at statehood from two-thirds of Recording District 3 in the
Old Cherokee Nation. It was named after Granville Craig, a prominent Cherokee
merchant in the area.
The County Seat is in Vinita,
which was once renowned railroad town that was established in 1871 by the
Cherokee attorney, Elias C. Boudinot. Situated at a strategic crossroads,
the town eventually became a territorial recording town and an important
commercial center. From 1907 to 1910 county commissioners rented offices
in Vinita from W. E. Haskell. His two-story brick building, constructed
in 1898, has been used as a federal courthouse. In 1908, a stone vault
was added to protect county records. Today the Craig County Courthouse
is the center of all county trials, records, and offices.
There are 38 recognized pre-statehood
and early statehood era homes in Vinita. Self guided walking tours and
maps with narratives on the homes are available at Eastern Trails Museum
and the Vinita Chamber of Commerce. There is
now a video available that can view at the library or museum. Please call in
advance the Vinita Public Library if a guided tour is needed for a group of
A few listings-
223 S. Smith- Built around 1884
by M. E. Milford. Mr. Milford was the business manager and later the owner
of the " Indian Chieftain", the daily newspaper. He was also one of the
organizers of the First National Bank in 1892, the second bank in Indian
147 S. Adair- Built in the early
1900's by Lucien Buffington, cousin of Cherokee Chief Tom Buffington. Mr.
Buffington was also one of the organizers of the First National Bank and
later served as its first Vice-President. He was a member of the Vinita Town site
Board in 1898.
146 S. Adair- Built by John Turner
in 1904. Hew was active in support of statehood for the two territories.
He was elected one of the members of the State Supreme Court in 1906, a
post he held until 1919.
439 N. Foreman- Built in 1897
by W. H. Kornegay, a prominent Vinita Attorney and Jurist. Mr. Kornegay
was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1906, and took an active
part in writing that document. He was also instrumental in the naming of
this county "Craig" for a close friend at Welch, Granville Craig.
451 N. Foreman- This magnificent
home was a wedding gift. It was built in 1889 by J. O. Hall for his daughter,
Ludie, at the time of her marriage to Luman Parker, Jr., an Attorney and
later Judge. Mr. Hall, a wealthy cattleman, is said to have had the glass
for stained glass windows of this house shipped in from France.
102 S. Third- One of the earlier
homes in Vinita, this brick structure was built by W.O Trott, who was in
this area before the railroads came through in 1868.