Look-Ups | Queries
The county was formed by uniting parts of two territorial counties, Day and Woodward and named for Albert H. Ellis, a Vice President of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.
In 1892, the south part of Ellis County was a part of County E, which was named Day County at the first election after the Cheyenne and Arapaho Opening in 1892. The County Seat was located at Ioland and then moved to Grand on Nov 13, 1893.
The Oklahoma Constitutional Convention decreed that Day County should cease to exist on Nov 16, 1907, and a new county, to be named Ellis should be formed.
The part of Day County south of the South Canadian River became a part of Roger Mills County - that part north of the river became a part of the new Ellis County. In addition, Townships 20 - 24 N Ranges 23 - 26 W, previously included in Woodward County, would now be part of Ellis County.
Grand was named the temporary county seat, but was changed to Arnett by vote of the people and moved on Oct 1, 1908.
Arnett - Catesby - Fargo - Gage - Goodwin - Harmon - Shattuck
Statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1908, with general compliance by 1930. Some counties kept birth and death records as early as 1891, but they are incomplete.
Registrar of Vital Statistics
State Department of Health
1000 Northeast Tenth Street
P. O. Box 53551
Oklahoma City, OK 73152
To verify current fees, call
County clerks have all marriage, court, and land records
Ellis Court of Clerks has marriage records from 1892,
divorce records from 1893,
probate records from 1908,
civil court records from 1896
County Clerk has land records from 1898
Ellis County Court House
100 S. Washington Courthouse Sq.
Arnett, OK 73832
Free Public Records
Local land office records are at
Oklahoma Department of Libraries
State Archives Division
200 N. E. 18th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
The National Archives
Land Entry case files, original tract books and township plats of the general land office are located at
The National Archives, Kansas City Branch
2306 East Bannister Road
Kansas City, KS 64131
The National Archives, Fort Worth Branch
501 West Felix Street
P. O. Box 6216
Fort Worth, TX 76115
The patents and copies of the tract books and township plats are at
BLM, New Mexico State Office
Sante Fe, NM, 87501