|| Home | Archives
| History |
Lookups | Obits |
| Queries | Resources | Schools | Surnames | Links |
"Links to web sites that
are not part of the USGenWeb Project are provided for your
and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb Project."
This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
Return to Garvin County Family
Return to Garvin County Genealogies
Return to County Doctors
by Jane Lindsey Tift,
My Genealogy Site
Hannah Agnes Adelia Crane Stevens Dr. James Winlock Stevens
Husband: Dr. James Winlock STEVENS
Birth: 29 Jul 1882 Leeds, Jefferson County, Alabama
Residence: 1944 Fort Sill, Oklahoma
Death: 25 Feb 1965 Abilene, Taylor County, Texas
Burial: 27 Feb 1965 Abilene, Taylor County, Texas
Residence: 1926 to 1934 Tulia, Swisher County, Texas
Military: and retired a
SSN: 444 28 5873 issued in Oklahoma
Marriage: 18 Jun 1935 Tucson, Pima County, Arizona
Father: John Hubbard STEVENS (b 13 Dec 1847)
Mother: Louise Jane PEARSON (b 10 Sep 1854)
Other spouse: Ruth M. HOUSER (m abt 1908)
Wife: Hannah Agnes Adelia CRANE
Birth: 15 Jun 1897 Marquette, McPherson County, Kansas
Death: 19 Mar 1995 Abilene, Taylor County, Texas
SSN: 445 24 7059 issued in Oklahoma
Father: Julian Albert CRANE (b 9 Feb 1862)
Mother: Johannah LINDQUIST (b 17 Dec 1862)
Other spouse: Hubert H. HAMILTON (m 25 Sep 1917)
1 F Shirley
Birth: 13 May 1938 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma
Adoption: Sep 1946 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma
Spouse: Jack Joyce TYLER (m 5 Mar 1956)
Spouse: James Dudley "Crash" TIFT (m 13 May 1985)
Prepared 3 Jul 2002 by:
Jane Lindsey Tift
AKA Shirley Jane Stevens
326 County Road 271
Tuscola, Texas 79562
HUSBAND NOTES: Dr. James Winlock STEVENS
Death: The following obituary appeared in the Abilene Reporter News, Abilene, Texas -
February 26, 1965:
Retired Army Doctor Dies. Dr. James Winlock Stevens, 82, died at 2:45 AM,
Thursday at Dyess AFB Hospital. The surgeon and retired Army doctor entered the
hospital Tuesday. Funeral arrangements will be announced by Elliott's Funeral
Dr. Stevens of 1400 Westview in Abilene, was born July 29, 1882, in Leeds,
Alabama, and attended the University of Tennessee and Baylor Medical School.
He married Hannah Agnes Adelia Crane Hamilton in Tucson, Arizona, June 18, 1935.
They moved to Abilene, Texas from Oklahoma City in 1955. He practiced medicine
in Oklahoma City until his retirement and then moved to Abilene.
Dr. Stevens, a retired Army Major, served in both World Wars I and II. He
entered the U. S. Army in 1918 and retired from the service in 1945. He was a
32nd degree Mason and a member of the Church of Christ.
Surviving are his wife; two sons, James of Lubbock, Texas, and Paul of Santa Fe,
New Mexico; a foster daughter, Mrs. Shirley Jane Lindsey Tyler of 3666 Ambler in
Abilene; eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren; two brothers, Joe and
John, both of Leonard, Texas; two sisters, Mrs. Celia Owen of Leonard and Mrs.
Beatrice Woodruff of Shallowater, Texas.
Copied from the book "`Windmilling - Swisher County, Texas - 1876-1977." Written
by Paul Stevens.
"About the time Swisher County was celebrating its fiftieth anniversary a new
doctor settled in Tulia to give medical help to the people of the Tulia area.
Dr. James W. Stevens moved from Pauls Valley, Oklahoma, on 28 June 1926, with
the encouragement of Dr. M. J. Shaw, who was trying to retire from practice.
Opening his practice in a small office upstairs in the back of Shaw Drug Store,
two doors north of the First National Bank, Dr. Stevens later moved to roomier
office space over the bank.
With other interested citizens he encouraged the building of the Swisher County
Hospital in the east part of Tulia, and utilized it for in-patient care, for
surgery, and for the delivery of many babies.
He joined with Allan Heard and Walker Jones in 1929 in the development of a new
drug store and doctor's structure on the northwest corner of the square. (In
1928, Allan and Walker Jones purchased the old Shaw Drug Store.)
Dr. Stevens helped to organize the Tulia Kiwanis Club and later served as its
president. He was also a deacon in the First Baptist Church.
Mrs. Ruth Stevens also belonged to the First Baptist Church and was active in
the Woman's Study Club.
James, the older son, worked in the wheat harvest on the Jonas Miller farm
northeast of Tulia, while a student at the University of Texas. After many years
of service with the Texas Highway Department, he retired in Lubbock, Texas.
The younger son, Paul, graduated from Tulia High School and also from the U.S.
Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, before studying for the Presbyterian
ministry. He was ordained in the First Presbyterian Church of Tulia, and served
at Slaton, Denton and Fort Davis, Texas, as well as various locations in New
Mexico, prior to his retirement in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in May 1977.
Dr. Stevens left Tulia in 1934, to serve as a medical officer in the Civilian
Mrs. Ruth Stevens remained in Tulia for several years, finally moving to
Lubbock, where she died December 10, 1960, at the age of eighty-two.
Beyond his service in the C.C.C., Dr. Stevens practiced medicine in several
Texas and Oklahoma communities before he retired in Abilene, Texas, where he
died February 25, 1965, eight-one years of age."
This notice appeared in the April 18, 2002 edition of the Tulia Herald:
"Seventy five years ago the barn and garage on the Don Culton place, occupied by
Dr. J. W. Stevens, catches fire Friday, April 15, 1927, and is almost
WIFE NOTES: Hannah Agnes Adelia CRANE
"Dee" or Delia Crane joined the Riley, Kansas, Methodist Church on April 20,
1902, at the same time that her father, Julian Albert Crane, joined.
The following article appeared in a Temple, Texas, newspaper in 1929:
Awards Are Made to Class Leaders -- High Tribute is Paid to Institution and
Graduates by Judge Odell -- "These nurses and doctors will need no monuments
erected in their memory for their monuments are in the hearts of a grateful
people," Judge W. M. Odell of Fort Worth declared last night in the class
address at commencement exercises for the 1929 graduating class of Scott &
White hospital training school for nurses at the Reagan school auditorium.
Eighteen young women received diplomas, which represent three years of intensive
work, more than required in the average four year university courses leading to
degrees of various kinds. After the auditorium had filled with local citizens
and friends and relatives of the graduates here from over the state, more than
100 student nurses in uniform entered to fill a reserved section while the
graduating class took its place on the platform.
Given Maud Scott Award -- Mrs. Delia Hamilton, valedictorian, spoke in behalf of
the class and later in the evening was presented with the Maud Scott award, a
diamond bar pin given each year by Mrs. A. C. Scott, Sr. to the graduate who in
the three years work makes the highest scholastic record. Mrs. Walker
Saulsbury, daughter of Mrs. Scott, made the presentation to the nurse "best
typifying unselfish, ambitious service for mankind, who has striven and
succeeded in her three years specialized study."
Award by Mrs. R. R. White -- Mrs. Pearl McWhorter, who brought greetings from
the class as salutatorian, was presented with the annual award made by Mrs. R.
R. White, by Raleigh R. White, son of Mrs. White. He made a splendid talk
telling of the interest of his family and his mother in the institution and the
annual presentation of a watch to the young woman making the second highest
Graduates were presented by Miss Clara Louise Wright, R. N., superintendent of
nurses, and diplomas were presented by Dr. A. C. Scott to the following:
Thelma Allen, Lyndell Bruner, Vera Fay Brown, Bertha Cull, Floyd Davis, Alice
Griswold, Kate Gullett, Delia Hamilton, Floy Hamlin, Rosalie Lomica, Irene
McClure, Pearl McWhorter, Ona Marie Miller, Pearl E. Simmons, Quinby Terry,
Pearl Lee Woody, Minnie Wolman, and Opal Woods.
"Nursing is one of the highest and noblest arts and the nurse will always be
the right hand of the doctor," Dr. Scott said in addressing the class briefly.
"To the nurse must go due honor in the work of span of life and the nurses must
share any measure of success that comes to this hospital."
The program opened with invocation by Reverend Lynn Claybrook. Miss Alberta
Kagy of Baylor college played a violin solo, and Miss Barbara Brown gave a vocal
solo, both being accompanied by Miss Morgan. The benediction was by Reverend R.
N. McCallum. Address by Judge Odell -- Judge Odell was introduced by Dr. Scott
as one of the most distinguished men of the state, having served the state and
nation in various capacities, and recently having been vice-chairman of the
state prison board and appointed to the board of regents of the state
university. Mr. Odell talked first of reminiscences as a patient in the local
hospital in 1911, his humor striking a responsive chord with his audience as he
told of old times and experiences.
Then, turning to the more serious side, he addressed the young women "who have
dedicated your lives to the welfare of the human race, to minister to the
afflicted and suffering. I know of no nobler service than that to which your
young lives could be dedicated. The world has long erected monuments to
destroyers and in late years the shrine of American patriotism has been the
grave of the unknown soldier. But, there should be a greater monument yonder in
Washington to the nurses who have gone out, not to kill and destroy, but to
minister to the sick and injured, in war, in peace, in disease and at all
He paid a glowing tribute to the late Dr. R. R. White and to Dr. A. C. Scott as
surgeons and doctors and also as citizens of the state working for its welfare
in many ways. "Young ladies, you will need no monuments. The nurses' and
doctors' work will endure long after their hands have ceased to labor. Your
monuments will be written in the hearts of a grateful people."
May 7, 1942 - The Geary Star, Geary, Blaine County, Oklahoma:
Geary Women Study Home Nursing -- Home Nursing Credits Earned by 27 Women --
Twenty seven women have completed a 24 hour training course in Home Nursing
here. Final examinations were given April 28. The class met Thursday evening
to discuss questions and receive papers from examination. Courtesy gifts were
given to Mrs. J. W. Stevens and Mrs. Irene Phelps. Red Cross methods,
procedures, and recommendations were used by Mrs. Stevens, authorized Red Cross
class instructor. Material emphasized in the class included personal health
habits and hygiene, community health and sanitation and methods or practices
used in caring for the sick. Those completing the course received vocational
homemaking certificates and will receive Red Cross cards. They were: Mrs.
Helen Bright, Mrs. Marian Browning, Mrs. Anna Dalke, Mrs. Irene Evans, Mrs.
Abbie Ruth, Miss Helen Ruth, Miss Genieve Segar, Mrs. Mildred Gwaltney, Mrs.
Bonnie Heaston, Mrs. Aileen Herbold, Mrs. Marie Hoffman, Mrs. Chelsa
Hutchinson, Mrs. Mona Kitson, Mrs. Helen Krehbiel, Mrs. Effie Lehman, Mrs.
Florence Lehman, Mrs. Florence McIntire, Miss Mattie Nichols, Mrs. Minta Payne,
Mrs. Irene Phelps, Miss Geraldine Rice, Mrs. Corine Richardson, Miss Maggie Mae
Robertson, Mrs. Flora Robinson, Mrs. Dorothy Sisney, Mrs. Velma Truman and Mrs.
(The following caption is under three pictures which appeared with the above
article.) Women of Geary spent many serious hours in preparing themselves for
the war effort in the home nursing course complete here last week. Three
scenes taken during the study course are shown above.
No. 1 - A class meeting in the home economics room at the high school. Seated in
the foreground, left to right, are: Mrs. Effie Lehman, Mrs. Irene Evans, Mrs.
Mona Kitson, Mrs. Florence McIntire and Mrs. Mildred Gwaltney.
No. 2 - Mrs. Minta Payne is demonstrating one of the three steps in making up a
No. 3 - Mrs. J. W. Stevens, instructor, is signing vocational certificates.
Mrs. Irene Phelps, sponsor of the class, is handing the certificate she earned
to Mrs. Marian Browning.
1. Information compiled by Shirley Jane Lindsey Tift, 326 CR 271, Tuscola, Texas
Submitted by Jane Lindsey Tift,
This document was last modified on:
Hosted & ©2017
Garvin County Coordinator: Gail Meyer Kilgore
OKGenWeb State Coordinator
Asst: Mel Owings
© 1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved
|NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.|