USGenWeb logo

Garvin County

County Seat - Pauls Valley

OKGenWeb logo
| Home | Archives  | Cemeteries | History | Lookups | Obits |
| Queries | Resources | Schools | Surnames | Links |

"Links to web sites that are not part of the USGenWeb Project are provided for your convenience
and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb Project."

okgenwebt.gif (4928 bytes)




OKGenWeb Indian Pioneer Papers Collection


Garvin County Indian Pioneer Papers




L.A. Moore


Interview #8911
Field Worker: John F. Daugherty
Date: October 16, 1937
Name: L.A. Moore
Residence: Wynnewood, Oklahoma
Date of Birth: July 5, 1868
Place of Birth: Livingston County, Missouri
Father: Levi Moore, born in Massachusetts
Mother: Amy Knox, born in Missouri


divide_3.gif (1179 bytes)

I was born in Livingston County, Missouri, July 5, 1868.  I came in a covered wagon tot he Indian Territory in 1885 and settled at Red Oak in the Choctaw Nation, east of McAlester.

Brother had a store there and I went in business with him.   We had a trading post licensed by the Choctaw Government in Tuskahoma.  Brother had married an Indian woman so he did not have to pay the royalty but I was a white man and single so I had to pay.  The tax was one dollar and a half per year for each one hundred dollars worth of merchandise I bought each year.

We had Indians for customers and I learned to speak their language.  They often laughed at my accent and pronunciation.  They bought many vests.  They thought they were not well dressed unless they had on a bright colored, beaded vest.  The Indian women carried their money tied in handkerchiefs.  They bought and paid for one article at a time.  They always spread their handkerchiefs full of money on the counter and asked me to take out the amount owed for their purchase.  They were very honest and truthful and expected the same of anybody with whom they dealt.

When they came to the store in wagons the women always sat on the bottom of the wagon while the men sat on the seats or boards and drove the team.

We had our goods freighted from Fort Smith, for which we paid fifty cents per hundred.   It took four days to make the trip.

I attended several Indian whippings.  The Indian to be whipped had to remove his shirt and stand with his arms around the whipping post with his back toward the person who was to do the whipping.  He began whipping at the waist and each lash was put a little higher until the neck of the victim was reached.  Then if there had not been enough lashes given he started down the back striking between the ridges of the first lashes.  I saw one Indian receive one hundred lashes and never stop chewing his tobacco.  They were very stoical and could take a lot of punishment.

One day I took my wife and two small girls to an Indian  Court in Red Oak.   The girls saw something which amused them and they began to laugh.  The judge said, "Girls, hush!"  The girls never forgot this incident.

The elections were very exciting in those days.  Sometimes they would almost be wars.  An Indian was running for sheriff of Sugar Loaf County.  They had no way of getting printing done, so this Indian wrote the following on a piece of paper and carried it around, showing it to people and asked that they support him.  This was written in English.  "And I have to run Sugar Loaf County Sheriff.  If my vote is filled.  I work by the office."  His name was signed.   Everybody laughed about his having to run Sheriff.  He was not elected.

One day while I was in the store a man came along and offered to sell me two bears.   I expected them to be as large as dogs and I offered him ten dollars for them.   When he delivered them he brought them in saddle pockets.  They were only fifteen days old and did not have their eyes open.  I took them and fed them on a bottle.  After twenty-five days they opened their eyes.  One of them died, but I raised the other one to maturity.  I kept him tied to a coal shed.

We burned coal there instead of wood.  All we had to do was to walk over to the side of a hill and pick up the coal.  There was a well there where people came for water not far from the shed.  So many people teased this bear to get him to run at them that he became very dangerous and so I had him killed.

There were many deer near Red Oak.  I can remember when deer hams sold for twenty-five cents each.

I knew an Indian named Lewis who killed two rattlesnakes, mounted them and laid them across his door way to keep the chickens our of his house.  Rattlesnakes were numerous.

I was foreman under United States Marshal John Solman for a time.

I moved to Wynnewood in 1901 and have lived here since.


divide_3.gif (1179 bytes)


This document was last modified on:

OKBits logo

OK/IT logo

Animated US Flag
God Bless America

Hosted & 2018 by:
OKGenWeb logo

Garvin County Coordinator: Gail Meyer Kilgore

OKGenWeb State Coordinator
Linda Simpson
Asst: Mel Owings
1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved

NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.