USGenWeb logo

Garvin County

County Seat - Pauls Valley

OKGenWeb logo
| Home | Archives  | Cemeteries | History | Lookups | Obits |
| Queries | Resources | Schools | Surnames | Links |

"Links to web sites that are not part of the USGenWeb Project are provided for your convenience
and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb Project."

okgenwebt.gif (4928 bytes)




OKGenWeb Indian Pioneer Papers Collection


Garvin County Indian Pioneer Papers



W.H. O'Gwin


Interview #10104
Field Worker: Maurice R. Anderson
Date: February 21, 1938
Name: Mr. W.H. O'Gwin
Residence: Pauls Valley, OK
Date of Birth:  March 14, 1868
Place of Birth: Kentucky
Father: J.H. O'Gwin, born in Tennessee
Mother: Lydia Shelton, born in Tennessee

Lydia's funeral records shows her birth place as Kentucky
submitted by Kathy (Rogers) Linnet

see copy of funeral record

see listing in Mt Olivet Cemetery

see tombstone picture

divide_3.gif (1179 bytes)

I was born in 1868 in Kentucky.  I came to the Inidan Territory with my father and mother.  We moved from Texas in the fall of 1889.   We had two wagons and four head of mules.  My father rented one hundred acres of land from Mr. Will Love, a few miles ewat of Pauls Valley in the Washita River bottom.

There were only three stores and a hotel in Pauls Valley.   The schoolhouse was located about one mile south of where the depot is now and church was held in the schoolhouse every Sunday.

There was no court at Pauls Valley then.  Court was held at Fort Smith, Arkansas and we only had United States marshals. The Chickasaw Indians' Court held at Tishomingo.

A Chickasaw Indian named Zack Gardner owned the only grist mill and cotton gin at that time in this part of the country.  The mill and gin were run by water power and were located on the river east of Pauls Valley.

This part of the country was more of a cattle country than a farming country when I came here.  There were several feeding pens along the river where cattlemen would feed their cattle during the winter months. 

A short while after we settled here I went to work for Mr. Nath Byars who was a large cattleman.  Mr. Byars paid me $20.00 a month to help take care of his cattle here during the winter.  He had several feeding pens, one on Peavine Creek northeast of Pauls Valley and a few miles and one near old Cherokee Town Crossing.  During the summer months was when I would have the hardest time with the cattle, as there were no fences and the cattle had to be herded on the grass and we would have a hard time keeping them off of the farmers crops.

The first year my father made a crop he had severty five acres of cotton and twenty-five acres of corn.  He only raised five bales of cotton the first year, which was in 1890.  The bol weavils just cleaned the cotton fields that year around here.  His corn made good.  He made about fifty bushels of corn to the acre but corn was cheap i those days.  The cattlemen around here would buy all the c orn the farmers raised to feed out their cattle. 

There was no market for cotton here at that time and my father hauled his cotton to Gainesville, Texas. The railroad had been put through here a few years before that time and some of the farmers shipped their cotton to Texas. 

There was a freight wagon line from Pauls Valley to Fort Sill when I came here.  I have seen those freight haulers come in here working from eight to twelve yoke of steers to a wagon and have a trail wagon coupled on behind the lead wagon and they would load both wagons and head back west.

This was the nearest railroad point to Fort Sill and the Indians from that part of the country would haul their freight that was shipped in here by the Government and when they would come after freight there would always be two or three soldiers with them.  There would be several wagons and they would always be working from six to ten little mules to each wagon.  There were no roads to speak of.

There were lots of turkeys in this part of the country when I came here but not too many deer.  We would go back in the mountains below old Fort Arbuckle and there we would find plenty of all kinds of meat to eat for we usually killed one to two deer in the winter.

Several years after we settled here Federal Court was established at Pauls Valley, in 1895, I believe.

The school here was a subscription school until 1898.  That year Pauls Valley had its first free school.

I remember the first year we settled here.  There were nine men killed at different times.  My father was a hardworking man.  He tended to his own business and tried to make a living for his family and he never had any trouble with the tough men.

John Swain was one of our United States Marshals and had killed several men.  He got killed near Purcell.  Bill Lewis had killed several men. John Walner, a United States Marshal, killed Bill Lewis at Wynnewood. John Walner had several killings to his credit while a United States Marshal, but John was later killed by his nephew, Bob Walner, at Wynnewood.

I have lived in this country since 1889.  I now run a filling station in Pauls Valley.

divide_3.gif (1179 bytes)

This document was last modified on:

OKBits logo

OK/IT logo

Animated US Flag
God Bless America

Hosted & 2018 by:
OKGenWeb logo

Garvin County Coordinator: Gail Meyer Kilgore

OKGenWeb State Coordinator
Linda Simpson
Asst: Mel Owings
1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved

NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.