USGenWeb logo

Garvin County

County Seat - Pauls Valley

OKGenWeb logo
| Home | Archives  | Cemeteries | History | Lookups | Obits |
| Queries | Resources | Schools | Surnames | Links |

"Links to web sites that are not part of the USGenWeb Project are provided for your convenience
and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb Project."

Wallville
Return to Towns Index

This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.

Wallville, located five miles southwest of Maysville in Garvin County, is surrounded by the Table Top Mountains and pastureland.  The area was once where the proud Chickasaw Nation roamed and hunted.  The Oklahoma land run of 1889 opened the territory for settlement, bringing settlers and communities.

Starting in the 1880's, Wallville was named for Mr. Noah Wall, an early resident.   Mr. Wall and his family moved from Mississippi to Doaksville (in the Choctaw Nation) before coming to this area.  His wife Lucille was a full blood Choctaw.   Noah Wall was buried at Scullyville, Oklahoma.

Surveyed as a townsite in 1903, Wallville was like many other communities, well populated and growing.  There was horse races along Main Street and gambling was a favorite pastime.  The railroads came to Garvin County in 1902 then paved roads to larger towns, all leading to the decline of most of the communities.

IN 1891, a post office was organized with John L. Wilson as the first postmaster.   It was operated until 1919.  At one time there was, other than the postoffice, a cotton gin, two stores, a two story hotel, a wagon yard and a school (until 1920).   A stagecoach route came through Wallville from Whitebead to Duncan where it joined the Chisholm Trail.  Dugout type homes were common in the area.  Eventually Wallville changed from a small town to a community  populated with ranching, trucking and farming families.  In 1920 its school, along with other small schools, was consolidated to create Hughes School, northwest of Wallville.

A crop, broomcorn, was brought to this area in 1906 and gradually became one of Garvin County's number one crop.   Broomcorm was used to make brooms and ship lining.  

This document was last modified on:

OKBits logo

OK/IT logo

Animated US Flag
God Bless America

Hosted & 2017 by:
OKGenWeb logo

Garvin County Coordinator: Gail Meyer Kilgore

OKGenWeb State Coordinator
Linda Simpson
Asst: Mel Owings
1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved

NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.