Look-ups | Resources
| Queries | Surnames
Information furnished by Steven Brown
Photos furnished by Ruby Ellen Denney Brown
To Add your Major County folks!
Submit your Family Group Sheet
Send your Family Histories to Jeff Smith
My Name is Steven Brown. My Fathers Mother was Ruby Ellen Denney Brown. She is the one that preserved the photographs all these years.
Her Father was Columbus Taylor Denney. My Connection to the Hughes family was through Louisa -She was My Great Grandfather's Sister.
My Great Grandfather was Columbus Taylor Denney. I have Denney's with both (Denny & Denney) spellings connected to both sides of my family.
(Received from Rocky Hughes an E-Mail via Steven Brown)-
My father was William Hankins Hughes(1900-1984) and my great grandfather was John James Hughes, who was married to Louisa Ellen Denney (Steven Brown's Great Grandfather's Sister). The family lived just southwest of Enid Oklahoma in a town called Ames. My great uncle also married a Denney although I do not know if it was from the same family. They all moved to Oklahoma around 1893 when the Cherokee Strip Indian lands were opened for settlement via the Cherokee strip land run.
Hughes Family in
Mountain Grove. Not sure why
Judge and Aunt Lou at their farm east of Ames, Oklahoma"
John James Hughes,
(Hughes Family Photo) son of William Hughes
and Martha Ann Terry, was born April 25, 1846 in Moultrie Co., Illinois;
died August 5, 1926, Ames, Oklahoma. On September 8, 1868, he married Louisa
Ellen Denney (Photo), born 30 May 1853 in Texas Co., Missouri; died July 3, 1929 in
Ames, Oklahoma. She was the daughter of William Denney, born ca. 1827,
Kentucky and wife, Amanda Elizabeth Stephens, born ca. 1834, Tennessee.
Amanda was the daughter of Benjamin Stephens, born ca. 1806, Tennessee and
Elizabeth Gray, born ca. 1810, North Carolina.
Photo of John & Louisa
· Albert Rudolph Hughes (Photo) , (Photo of Albert & Nora) born August 24, 1869, Texas Co., Missouri; died Oct. 6, 1960, Miami, Oklahoma, age 91 years
· Willie M. Hughes, born March 7, 1872
· John Overton Hughes, b. Sept. 2, 1875; died Nov. 11, 1929, Ames, Okla.
· Esta Louzaida Hughes,(Photo) born Nov. 11, 1881; married Luther M. Mathis (Photo).
More on Dr. Luther Mathis. They had one child, Gail (Photo) born 6 Nov. 1908 (Later Photo)
· Sabra Iris Hughes died in infancy.
· James Leo Hughes (Photo) born Oct. 9, 1892; died Dec. 3, 1949, Oklahoma City; married Lucille Yeoman, and they had one child, Helen Margaret Hughes
· Samuel Douglas Hughes, born Oct. 5, 1897. He married Gertrude Ray and had two children: Sabra Louise Hughes, born Jan. 18, 1917, Stillwater, Okla., and June Hughes, b. in June at Ames, Okla.
John Overton Hughes, son of John James Hughes and Louisa Ellen Denney, was born September 2, 1875, in Missouri; died November 11, 1927, in Ames, Oklahoma. On Jan. 1, 1898, he married Maggie Belle Hankins, born July 8, 1878 in Panola, KS; died February 10, 1943 in Ames, OK
· William Hankins Hughes, (Photo) born March 24, 1900
· Esta Reola Hughes, born December 5, 1905; married Emil Rheuben Seward
1. William Robert Steward, born March 5, 1929, Ames, OK
2. Patricia Ann Steward, born July 15, 1930, Enid, OK
I haven't found the connection for Samuel Franklin Hughes and Martha Emily Ward to the John James Hughes Family. My Great Aunt Daisy Elsie Denney Married John N Hughes. I have a lot of photos of that family also
This page was last updated on 05/09/15
God Bless America
Hosted & © 2018 by:
OKGenWeb State Coordinator
Asst: Mel Owings
© 1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved
|USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.|