History of Noble County

Briefly, the county is part of the section of Oklahoma Territory which was called the Cherokee Outlet. Massive non-Indian settlement took place in the land run of 1893.

Noble County was named in honor of John M. Noble of St. Louis who was the secretary of the Department of the Interior under President Harrison. The new name was chosen on November 6, 1894, when the first county election was held, and replaced the earlier letter designation of "P".

Noble County's largest city and the county seat is Perry which overnight, September 16, 1893 became a bustling tent city of 40,000. Perry, according to the 1990 U.S. Census, had a population of 4,978.

More information regarding Noble County history from Oklahoma Historical Society's - Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture.

History of Perry, Oklahoma  (county seat)

This site was last updated Saturday, 24-Nov-2012 11:46:21 EST.

©1998- 2017 by OKGenWeb

Copying permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.  

OKGenWeb State Coordinator: Linda Simpson  Assistant State Coordinator: Mel Owings

| Main Page |