WELCOME TO NOWATA COUNTY, OKGENWEB
Long before Oklahoma received its Statehood in 1907, it was in 1803
The United State acquired most of the area known as Oklahoma as part
of the Louisiana Purchase.
1812 Most of Oklahoma became part of the Missouri Territory
1817 According to the terms of a treaty with the United States, the Cherokee people were assigned a country in Arkansas and from that time were known as the Western Cherokees.
1819 Most of Oklahoma became part of the Arkansas Territory
1828 Sequoyah was one of the Western Cherokee delegates to Washington, D. C., who signed a new treaty. They traded their Arkansas lands for a country in the Indian Territory, north of the Arkansas and Canadian rivers, Northeastern Oklahoma today.
1828/1829 Cherokee and Choctaw moved voluntarily from Cherokee Nation East to Cherokee Nation West. These are known as "Old Settlers"
This is when the Coody family arrived, making their home which even today is known as Coody's Bluff. "OLD SETTLERS"
1829 Dwight Mission School had been established by missionaries of the American Board of Boston among the Western Cherokee in Arkansas Territory.
1838-1839 The forced removal of the Cherokee People over the Trail of Tears. At which time Eight of the Nine Cherokee Districts were formed; Flint, Going Snake, Delaware, Sequoyah, Illinois, Canadian, Saline and Tahlequah. Nowata County today was in the Western part of the Saline District.
The "California Trails" passed through Coody's Bluff which is immediately east of Nowata on west side of the Verdigris River.
1844 The Cherokee Advocate was first published at Tahlequah, this was the first newspaper in Oklahoma.
1856 Cooweescoowee District was formed from the Western Part of Saline District. Nowata County, was in the Cooweescoowee District.
1860 Coodys Bluff, Cooweeescoowee District, Cherokee Nation West, six miles East of Nowata started it's first Post Office May 5, 1860. The first Postmaster of Coody's Bluff was Richard Coody.
Richard Coody 1860
1867 Both the Delaware and the Shawnee people sold their land granted in Kansas and purchased an interest in the Cherokee lands. Many settled in the Cooweescoowee District Cherokee Nation West.
1870 Coodys Bluff 1st Log Cabin School
1871 At twelve o'clock noon, June 6, 1871 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company won the race by completing its track to the northern boundary of Indian Territory, in the valley of the Neosho River. On the following July 20, 1871, President Grant authorized the company to enter the Indian Territory and construct tracks to the Red River and on into Texas.
1871 In the late autumn of 1871, the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad Company, the second railroad company to enter into Indian Territory, built tracks from Seneca Missouri to Vinita. The Atlantic & Pacific Railroad was later sold and became the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad.
1884 The Dwight Mission Schools had been closed during the Civil War, it was reopened.
1890-1892 One cave very important to the Dalton Gang was under a cliff of rock on the east bank of the Verdigris River about 1 mile north of the river bridge on Highway 60. The only entrance to the cave was to swim horses from the west bank of the river to the mouth of the cave on the other side. The members of the Dalton Gang were from the Coodys Bluff community. Bill Rattlingourd and Bitter Creek Newcomb. The U. S. Government blasted the cave in 1892. Another of their hideouts was around Taylor Cemetery little over 2 miles southwest of Nowata, where it has been said their names are carved in rock.
1893 March the U. S. Congress appointed, what was known as "THE
DAWES COMMISSION." This commission consisted of three members to
meet the people of the Five Civilized Tribes and the officers of their
governments and to make new agreements concerning their affairs.
1897 Tams Bixby of Minnesota, was also a member of the Dawes Commission.
1903 Tams Bixby served as chairman of the Dawes Commission from 1903 to the end of the commission.
1904 "The City of Nowata owes her sudden and continued growth largely to the development of the oil fields in the territory adjacent. The Alluwe field in November, 1904, was the first field opened, followed by the Coody's Bluff field about a year later, and then the Childers and Hogshooter's fields about 1906. All of these proving to be rich fields. Nowata County, Oklahoma, history from John D. Benedict book 1922
July 1, 1905 The end of "The Dawes Commission."
The little crossroads grocery store and post office at Coody's Bluff
stood five miles east of Nowata, at the intersection of highway 60 and
28. Mr. and Mrs. Richard Roba Briggs operated a small grocery business
there during the thirties. They were forced out of business by peoples
inability to pay their bills during the depression. Mr. Richard Briggs
worked in several grocery stores in Nowata, until in 1940, George Stanfill
stocked the Coody's Bluff store again, as a joint operation with Briggs.
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Briggs would run the country store, while the Stanfills
continued with their Nowata store. Later, the Coody's Bluff post office
was moved there, with Briggs as Post Master. Mrs. Briggs was his assistant.
He held this post until he retired at the age of 70. Ruth Setzer obtained
the Post Master potion, and the Briggs's continued with the store.