Osage County County Seat - Pawhu
OKGenWeb

Osage County
County Seat -
Pawhuska

USGenWeb
Home | Archives  | History | Look-ups | ObitsQueries | Additional Links
 

"Links to web sites that are not part of the US Gen Web Project are provided for your convenience and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The US Gen Web Project."

Communities, Post Offices, Settlements, Townsites and Towns

Town

Est.* 

Location; Comments

Algiers 1904 near Skiatook in SE Osage County; post office from May 1904 - Dec 1904; named for the city in North Africa
Apperson 1920 4 miles NW of Burbank; townsite established Aug 1920; named for Apperson automobile; ghost town
Arondale 1921 near Hominy; post office Sep 1921 - Jul 1935; named for Aaron Steele, oil field superintendent; oil field boom town; no longer in existence
Avant 1906 7 miles SE of Barnsdall; post office established Aug 1906; named for Ben Avant, prominent Osage Indian; Big Heart twp.; oil boom town
Barnsdale 1911 near Barnsdall; post office from Jan 1911-Jan 1915; name is variant of Barnsdall Oil Company
Barnsdall 1921 formerly Bigheart; post office name changed  to Barnsdall, Nov 1921; name from Barnsdall Oil Company
Bartlett 1908 near Fairfax; post office from Dec 1908 - Jun 1910; named for Don Carlos Bartlett, early day resident; no longer in existence
Belford 1907 5 miles SE of Ralston; post office from Sep 1907- Mar 1915; Big Hill twp.; no longer in existence; named for Irene Belford, first postmaster
Betts   Santa Fe Railway switch stop; 7 miles W of Pawhuska; named for C. E. Betts, general auditor of the Santa Fe
Bigheart 1906 12 miles N of Pawhuska; Caney twp.; post office established Jan 1906, name changed to Barnsdall, Nov 1921, named for James Bigheart, Osage chief; ghost town
Blackland 1911 12 miles NW of Pawhuska; Foraker twp.; post office established Jan 1911, named for black soil; Dec 1917, post office moved 3 miles SE and name changed to Pearsonia; now cattle loading area outside Tallgrass preserve; during WW II more cattle were unloaded and loaded here than any spot in the United States; ghost town
Boulanger 1914 19 miles NW of Pawhuska; a former townsite established in 1914; named for Isaac Boulanger, townsite owner; Original Layout of Town
Bowring 1923 18 miles NE of Pawhuska; post office established Nov 1923; Caney twp.; named for two ranchers, Mart Bowhan and Richard Woodring
Burbank 1907 18 miles W of Pawhuska; Big Hill twp.; post office established Dec 1907; name believe to have been taken from nearby rocky bluff along Salt Creek, covered with cockleburs
Carter Nine 1928 22 miles NW of Pawhuska; Fairfax twp.; post office established Aug 1928, named for Carter Oil Company and land description - Section 9 of township 26 North, Range 6 East; ghost town
Cooper 1923 8 miles N of Burbank; post office from Aug 1923 - Oct 1939; named for Edward E. Cooper, early resident; ghost town
DeNoya 1921 3 miles SW of Shidler; Fairfax twp.; known locally as Whizbang; post office from Dec 1921 - Sep 1942; named for Joseph F. DeNoya, prominent Osage; ghost town
Embree 1891 6 miles W of Ramona on the Osage county line; post office established Nov 1891 to Mar 1892
Fairfax 1903 post office established Feb 1903; several versions explain name origin; name is probably in honor of Lord Fairfax of Virginia
Foraker 1903 7 miles NE of Shilder; post office established Feb 1903, named for Joseph B. Foraker, US senator from Ohio; shipping point boom town serving the Burbank Field; ghost town
Frankfort 1910 10 miles NW of Foraker; Foraker twp.; post office from Jan 1910 - Aug 1912; named for Frank Murphy, townsite developer; ghost town
Grainola 1910 formerly Salt Creek; 6 miles NW of Foraker; post office name changed to Grainola Mar 1910; closed Jun 1974
Gray Horse 1890 5 miles SE of Fairfax; post office from May 1890-Dec 1931; named for Gray Horse or Ko-wah-ho-tsa, an Osage medicine man; ghost town
Hampton 1892 5 miles west of Copan, post office established Oct 1892 - Oct 1897; named for William A. Hampton, first postmaster
Henry 1896 15 miles W of Tulsa; post office established Sep 1896 - Mar 1905; named for Henry Anderson, husband of the first postmaster
Herd 1915 13 miles NE of Pawhuska; Caney twp.; post office from Apr 1915- Mar 1945; named for Joe Herrod, local rancher and cattleman; ghost town
Hominy 1891 16 miles S of Pawhuska; established Feb 1891; there are several versions of the origin of the name; word is probably corruption of Harmony, referring to Harmony Mission in Missouri
Hulah 1918 10 miles N of Bartlesville; townsite plat filed Mar 1918; name is Osage word for "hluah" meaning "eagle"; ghost town
Keefe   3 miles E of Fairfax; rural community; named for J. H. Keefe, vice-president of the Santa Fe Railway
Land 1894 adjoining Ponca City in western Osage County; post office established Jul 1894 - Mar 1895; named for James T. Land, first post master
Little Chief   5 miles SE of Burbank; rural community; named for nearby Little Chief Creek; ghost town
Lyman 1924 6 miles NW of Shilder; Foraker twp.; post office from Mar 1924 - Feb 1956; named for A. J. Lyman, townsite owner; ghost town
McInnis   8 miles W of Pawhuska; switch and loading point on the Santa Fe Railway; named for E. E. McInnis, Santa Fe Railway attorney
Mitscher 1901 6 miles NE of Foraker; post office established Oct 1901 - Jun 1902; named for O. a. Mitscher of Pawhuska, later Mayor of Oklahoma City and father of Admiral Marc Mitscher
Nelagoney 1906 7 miles SE of Pawhuska; Strike Axe twp.; post office from Dec 1906 - Feb 1959; name is Osage word meaning "good water" or "spring"
New Prue   north of the former Prue townsite; relocated because of the Keystone Reservoir
Okesa 1906 11 miles W of Bartlesville; Strike Axe twp.; post office from Jan 1906 - Dec 1940; name is Osage word meaning "halfway", the site being halfway between Pawhuska and the Cherokee Nation boundary
Osage 1906 5 mile E of Cleveland; post office established Nov 1906
Osage City 1906 Hominy twp.
Paha 1908 7 miles SE of Ponca City; post office established Jun 1908 - Jan 1911; named for Pretty Hair, an Osage tribal leader
Pawhuska 1876 post office established May 1876; named for Osage chief, Paw-Hiu-Skah, names means "white hair"; Osage County seat
Pearsonia 1917 formerly Blackland; 9 miles NW of Pawhuska; Foraker twp.; post office moved 3 miles SE and name changed to Pearsonia, Dec 1917; post office discontinued Dec 1936; named for Joseph R. Pearson, townsite owner;  ghost town
Perrier 1918 8 miles E of Hominy; townsite plat filed Sep 1918; named for James Perrier, prominent Osage
Pershing 1919 5 miles SE of Pawhuska; Big Heart twp.; post office from May 1919 - Mar 1957; named for General John J. Pershing
Prue 1905 9 miles SE of Cleveland; post office established Sep 1905; named for Henry Prue, townsite owner; ghost town; see New Prue
Pulare 1920 9 miles NW of Sand Springs; post office established Aug 1920 - Sep 1928
Red Eagle 1920 12 miles NW of Bartlesville; post office established Aug 1920 - Oct 1930; named for Paul Red Eagle, Osage chief
Remington 1905 5 miles S of Burbank; post office Jan 1905 - Mar 1912; name came from the Remington rifle; ghost town
Salt Creek 1906 in NW Osage Co.; Foraker twp.; post office established Nov 1906; named changed to Grainola Mar 1910; took name from nearby Salt Creek, tributary of the Arkansas River
Shidler 1922 21 miles NW of Pawhuska; Foraker twp.; post office established Feb 1922; named for E. S. Shidler, townsite developer
Skiatook 1880 13 miles north of Tulsa on the Tulsa, Osage county line; post office established Mar 1880; until Apr 1892, official spelling of the post office was "Ski-a-took"; named for Skiatooka, prominent Osage, the community around his home being known as Skiatooka's Settlement
Soldani   adjoining Burbank; a switch and loading point on the the Santa Fe Railway in western Osage County; named for Sylvester Coldani, prominent Osage
Souter 1914 near Cleveland; post office from May 1914 - Sep 1917; named for George W. Souter, prominent local resident
Strohm   7 miles NE of Fairfax; named for Charles B. Strohm, Santa Fe Railway official; ghost town
Tallant 1921 3 miles NW of Barnsdall; Strike Axe twp.; post office established Mar 1921 - Mar 1957; named for Ralph K. Tallant, executive of Cities Service Oil Co.; ghost town
Wau-ti-au-cah 1880 6 miles NW of Skiatook; post office established for a short time in 1880; named for Wah-ti-au-cah, an Osage sub-chief
Webb City 1922 NW Osage County; post office established Dec 1922; named for Horace Webb; townsite owner
Whizbang   local name for DeNoya; name from Captain Billy's Whizbang, a magazine popular at the time
Wolco 1922 5 miles E of Barnshdall; Big Heart twp.; post office from Dec 1922 - Mar 1957; named for  Wolverine Oil Company; ghost town
Woolaroc   14 miles SE of Bartlesville; well known ranch of the late Frank Phillips; now a game preserve and museum; name coined from words woods, lakes, and rocks
Wynona 1906 8 miles south of Pawhuska; post office established Dec 1903; named is a Sioux word meaning "first born daughter"; oil boom town;
     
1. Post Offices Located in Oil Boom Towns Created Between 1906 and 1928 (exact name of printed source unknown (Jul 2003)]
2. Oklahoma Place Names by George H. Shirk, University of Oklahoma Press, 1965.

Date established as a townsite, community, settlement or Post Office.

This page last modified:02/09/11

Animated US Flag
God Bless America

Hosted & 2017 by:
OKGenWeb

OKGenWeb State Coordinator
Linda Simpson
Asst: Mel Owings
1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved

U.S. GEN WEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.