OKGenWeb Notice: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material may not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The creator copyrights ALL files on this site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the OKGenWeb Coordinator, [okgenweb@cox.net], and their creator. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc. are. It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Indian Pioneer Papers - Index

Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma
Date: May 25, 1937
Name: Old Lone Wolf Cemetery

Founded: 1901 by town of Lone Wolf, Oklahoma
Abandoned; 1903, because it was school land
Present owner of premises: Dock Hunter or A.B. Hunter
Address of present owners: 1206  East 9th Street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Original owners of the premises: not located, one time owner was W.L. Avis
Approximate number of graves: 4
Approximate number of marked graves: stones have been disturbed
General condition of headstones, including inscriptions: initials defaced
Number of inscriptions copied:
Condition of the premises: Is in a field and cultivation is near
Legal location of burial ground: Kiowa County, Section 13 Township 6 Range 20
Field Worker: Ethel B. Tackitt
Number 3242

CEMETERIES -- Kiowa County --

When the town of Lone Wolf  in the Kiowa Country was opened for settlement by white people on August 6, 1901, it became a town of tents over night, with all kinds of businesses, post office, grocery stores, dry goods stores, saloons, and a great number of gambling places.

That Fall an epidemic of pneumonia from exposure followed but there were no deaths in the town until December 20, 1901, when an infant of Mr. and Mrs. Frank McGuigan died and a cemetery was started on the N.E. 1/4 - S 13 -T 6- R 29.

On February 9, 1902, a Mr. Keith and a two year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bird were buried.  All had succumbed to pneumonia.

A  young man named James Berry (Perry?) had come to town and had worked in saloons, pool halls and such places, drinking much.   His face was scarred as if it had been burned.  He lost his money gambling.   Then he told his associates that Lone Wolf had everything but a cemetery and he was going to start that.  He killed himself and was buried on March 18, 1902.

It was found that a cemetery could not be started on school land, which this section proved to be, and in 1903 the cemetery was abandoned.  All bodies were moved to the new cemetery except the bodies of James Berry, Mr. Keith and the two Bird children.  Their graves remain in a sad state of neglect.

No Indians were ever buried in this cemetery.

Mrs. F.E. Walker, wife of Dr. F.E. Walker practicing physician at that time, gave the above information.

There is no city record of this cemetery.

Submitted to OKGenWeb by Brenda Choate, August 2001.