OKGenWeb Notice: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material may not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The creator copyrights ALL files on this site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the OKGenWeb Coordinator, [okgenweb@cox.net], and their creator. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc. are. It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Indian Pioneer Papers - Index

Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma
LDS Microfiche #6016976
Volume 111 - Cemeteries

Cemetery - Cherokee
Date: April 29, 1937
Burial ground: Parris Cemetery
Founded: about 1840 by The Cherokees
Abandoned: No
Present owner: Sol HOLLAND Sr.
Address: Hulbert, Route 1
Number of graves: 100
Marked graves: 12
Inscriptions: 7
Legal location: Cherokee County, Sec 25, T17N, R19E

The Parris Cemetery is located just north of the Parris Church and School, which is on the old site of the Cherokee Keetoowah Council House which stood on the high bluff overlooking Fourteen Mile Creek. There is an Indian mound in the center of the burial ground about twenty-five feet high and about 100 feet across at the base and there are graves on the level ground around the mound also many graves on top of the mound. Mr. HOLLAND, who was reared in the immediate vicinity of that place and was born in the year of 1870, said when he was a young man, that a very old Cherokee Indian by the name of Arch BOLIN told him that the Indian mounds were there when the Cherokees came to this country and of course they knew nothing of their origin, but it was such a beautiful place the site was selected for the council grounds and the old Keetoowah Council house was built there and used as a church and school and later the burial ground was started around the old mound south of the council house. The old Ft. Gibson-Tahlequah mail and stage line trail passed the place and is traceable today as it shows as an old beaten trail and many places worn down in the ground as much as one and half or two feet.

Sarina PARRIS, born 1844, died 1912 

W. T. ANDERSON, born 1866, died 1915  white granite slab at the grave
Note: W. T. ANDERSON was born in Tuskegee, Alabama and came to the Territory when he was a young man. He was well educated colored man and taught school at the old Parris School for several years. (Information by Sol HOLLAND) 

Bass HARLAN, born 1834, died 1914 (granite slab) 

Albert IRON, Pvt., 804 Inf. October 6, 1922 

Narcissa CORNISH, born 1857, died 1932 

Joseph ROGERS, died September 18, 1917, age 73 

Jennie BECK, born 1821, died April 9, 1919

Submitted to OKGenWeb by Gay Wall.