OKGenWeb Notice: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material may not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The creator copyrights ALL files on this site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the OKGenWeb Coordinator, [okgenweb@cox.net], and their creator. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc. are. It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Indian Pioneer Papers - Index

Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma
Date: May 24, 1937
Name of burial ground: Samuels Cemetery aka Mose Perryman Graveyard
Founded: about 1840 by Mose Perryman
Present owners: public property, not abandoned
No. of graves: 1200
No. of marked graves: 250
Condition of stones: Good
Condition of premises: neglected
Location: Six miles south of Redbird SW SW SW
 Section 1 - Township T15N - Range R16E
Field Worker: Jas S. Buchanan, Carl R. Sherwood

(Burial Ground Form Works Progress Administration Indian-Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma)
Vol. 55, pg 275-77


This old burial ground, in the early days, as known as the Mose Perryman grave yard as Mose Perryman was an extensive land holder and slave owner in the immediate vicinity, and it is claimed that he established the burial ground about 1840.

Jim Samuels was a slave of Mose Perryman previous to the civil war, and after the war and the slaves were made free, Jim Samuels resided in the immediate vicinity and when the allotments were eventually made to the freedmen, the land upon which the cemetery is situated, and part of the old Mose Perryman claim happened to be Jim Samuels allotment.  Since that time it has been known as the Samuels grave yard.  It is a beautiful plot, consisting of about six acres situated on a high slope, several large oaks and cedars shade the grounds.  The older graves have no markers or inscriptions.

Mose Perryman, the original owner or claimant of the land on which this cemetery is located, and one of the first settlers of this part of the territory and operated a plantation with slaves is buried in this plot among the older graves, but has no marker, so I am informed by Philip A. Lewis, a Creek freedman born near the vicinity in 1870.

William H. Hendrix b. Jan 11, 1863, d. Aug 4, 1896
Daniel Perryman, b. 1835, d. 1878

Jacob Perryman, b. Aug 11, 1827, d. Feb 1903
J. E. Perryman, b. Nov 14, 1873, d. June 5, 1876
Dollie Marshall, b. Ap 18, 1852, d. Jan 7, 1919 

The name Dollie was a family nick given her when a baby.  Her real name appears on the Creek roll as Mary Ann Tucker.  This information was given by Phillip A. Lewis only son of Dolly Marshall born 1870.

Submitted to OKGenWeb by Sharron Ashton <Ashtonbooks@aol.com> 04-1999.