"March 21, 2007"
"June 10, 2007"
If you have resources (pictures, list of pupils, etc.) for any of these schools and are willing to share them, or know of other schools not listed, please send the information to the county coordinator.
Old Childers School
Childers School Photo's 1927, 1933, 1935, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948 and 1949
Coody's Bluff 1st Log Cabin School -- 1870 --
Crow Hollow (Holler)--Between Wann and Lenapah per Joe Bruce, who says his older sister attended school there while they lived on the Gotlieb Ranch.
Diamond Point--historic site
District #9 (north County)--
Elm Bend & Church--
Gooseneck School & Church--
Hickory Creek Colored--The school house, meeting place, and it also served as a church at times.
It is estimated to have been built in the late 1870's. Most of the slaves stayed in Kansas until the Freedman Allotment Lands were issued. Then the people migrated back to northeastern Oklahoma. These ruins was one of the first attempts to build the future. Located beside this old school is an old cistern. It has been sealed to prevent an unwanted accident.
The Little Flock Baptist Church is a historical marker by itself. The first church built was a log cabin church on the south side of Hickory Creek.
Five little ladies took in washing to have it built. A preacher rode a mule south from Coffeyville on Thursday to stay with a family until Saturday. He would have Sunday school every other Saturday in the little log cabin. Then he would ride back to Coffeyville and conduct services at his own church each Sunday.
When Hickory Creek flooded the preacher couldn't come. The little ladies put their efforts together and had another log cabin church built on the north side of Hickory Creek and that stopped the flooding problem.
The preacher called these 5 ladies his little flock. Later he called theb church the Little Flock Baptist Church honoring the little group of followers. Then the new church was built in the 40's because one of the church's had burned down. Totally, the church is about 115 years old. They still hold services there every other Saturday.
It is well to note that the 99-year-old lease will expire in 2035. The county leased the land for the church for 99 years after the land was lost when no one could pay the taxes back in 1930's.
Hickory Creek Cemetery is located across the Little Flock Road that runs in front of the church. July 17, 2007 Jeannie Inman
Lee Square - 2nd--
Martin - School District 25 near the Martin Cemetery Class of 1913
Martin (north county)--
Martin Log Cabin (by Martin Cemetery_--
Martin Colored (north county)--
Old picture of Nowata High School--
Class of 1929--
Palestine, District 39--
Ray School known as Ignorant Ridge--
Salt Creek, District 49--
Subscription (north county)--
Subscription (near Alluwe)--
Terrill (Pleasant View)--
Territorial Subscription (north county)--
Union Log Cabin--
YORK SCHOOL 1928
Need help with ID of students.
Teacher: Katie (Nunnallee) Milligan
Students: Back row, 2nd boy from left, Mid Marlow (C.M. Marlow). Front row, boy on left, Clifford Marlow.
The old school building has been torn down. The old and new gym and the cafeteria are still standing, although the old gym is in poor condition. The new gym is now the Wann Community Center.
© 2019 OKGenWeb