Towns of Atoka County:
I would love to have more information on these towns. If you have anything
you can contribute, please send information to the county coordinator.
If there is more information on each town, the town name will link to
||County seat of Atoka county. Record Town for Recording
District No. 23, Indian Territory. Post office established January
23, 1868. It was named for Captain Atoka, for whom the county was
||In southern Atoka County, 12 miles south of Atoka. A post office
from Jun 1, 1903, to August 30, 1963. Named for Professor Alva Bentley,
||Boehler is in southeast Atoka county and is located 10 miles north
of Boswell, just 1 mile over the county line.
||In Atoka County, 14 miles southwest of AToka. Post office established
November 5, 1849. On March 22, 1872, it was moved 1 1/2 miles south
and name changed to New Boggy Depot, which in turn, on December 26,
1883, was changed to Boggy Depot. Post office discontinued July 31,
1944. Took its name from nearby Boggy Creek, a name derived from the
French vaseus, meaning "muddy" or "slimy".
||In Atoka county, 4 miles southeast of Atoka. Post office established
September 17, 1910, and discontinuted March 31, 1925.
||Post office from 1920-1921
||In southern Atoka County, 9 miles south of Atoka. A post office
from March 6, 1901, to February 28, 1911.
||In southern Atoka County. Post office established June 20, 1888.
It took its name from Caney Switch on the Katy Railroad, located 1
||In southern Atoka county, 1 mile north of present-day Chaney. A
post office for a short period in 1879, it took its name from nearby
Caney Creek, a popular name for streams, referring to cane brakes
along the course. AT that time the railhead for Fort Sill.
||In Atoka County, 3 miles south of Limestone Gap, Post office established
June 17, 1891, and name changed to Chockie, February 8, 1904. Named
for Chickie and Chockie, the two daughters of Charles LeFlore. Chickie
was later Mrs. Lee Cruce, Oklahoma's second First Lady.
||Formerly Chickiechockie. In Atoka county, 11 miles northeast of
Stringtown. Post office name changed to Chockie, February 8, 1904,
and discontinued March 15, 1905. On August 3, 1916, a nearby post
office, Rich, was renamed Chockie, which, in turn was discontinued
November 30, 1934. Named for Chockie LeFlore, daughter of Charles
||In Atoka county, 8 miles west of Atoka. A post office from February
13, 1904, to July 31, 1912, it was named for William T. Copeland,
||In southern Atoka county, 18 miles southeast of Atoka. A post office
from SEptember 5, 1911, to December 31, 1955. It took its name from
nearby Crystal Springs, a well-known campsite.
||In northeastern Atoka county. Post office established April 5, 1906.
In 1897, a post office named Etna had been discontinued at this appoximate
location. Named for Daisy Beck, local girl
||Formerly Lewis, in Atoka county, 5 miles south of AToka. Post office
name changed to DAyton, January 21, 1909, and name changed to Tushka,
June 9, 1909.
||In southeastern Atoka county, 18 miles southeast of AToka. A post
office established May 17, 1902, it was named for John L. Farris,
||In Atoka county, 6 miles north of AToka. A stage stop on the Butterfield
Overland Mail route to California which crossed southeastern Oklahoma,
1858-1861. Named for A. W. Geary, local toll-bridge operator. Site
now inundated by AToka Reservoir.
||In Atoka county near Stringtown. A post office from January 11,
1886, to February 1, 1887. No longer in existence, it was named for
Gertrude L. Westbrook, first postmaster.
||Present Wardville, in northwestern Atoka county. Post office established
February 6, 1902, and name changed to Wardville, July 18, 1907. Named
for Herberty WArd, son of H.P. Ward, territorial jurist.
||In Atoka county, 4 miles south of Lehigh. A post office from April
13, 1922, to December 15, 1925. No longer in existence. The name is
an anagram of Joseph S. Hilburn, first postmaster.
||In southeastern Atoka county. Post office established October 6,
1902. Took its name from the circumstance that the fist post office
was located in a store situated at the end of a land bounded by rail
||In northern Atoka county, 9 miles south of Kiowa. A post office
from March 29, 1875, to February 28, 1901, tha name of the post office
was Limestone. The locality is now known as Gap.
||Present Tushka, in Atoka county. Post office established April 17,
1903, and name changed to Lewis, April 13, 1905.
||In Atoka county, 7 miles east of STringtown. A post office from
August 2, 1922, to February 21, 1934. Took its name from nearby Potapo
Creek, which had been named for Potapo, a local Choctaw Indian.
||In Atoka county, 13 miles northeast of Stringtown. A post office
from June 1, 1903, to October 31, 1954. Named for John A. Redden,
||In northern Atoka county, 3 miles south of Kiowa. A post office
from February 19, 1895, to July 31, 1909. Named for H.C. Reynolds,
||In northeastern Atoka county, 1 mile north of Wesley. A post office
from July 1, 1874, to October 13, 1878. Until October 18, 1877, the
official name of the post office was incorrectly spelled Rodgers Station.
Named for John P. Rogers, prominent earlyday merchant.
||In northwestern Atoka county. A post office from February 6, 1914,
to October 31, 1918. No longer in existence. Took its name from a
prominent nearby land feature.
||In Atoka county, 7 miles northeast of Atoka. Post office established
August 17, 1874. For a few weeks in July 1877, the official name of
the post office was Sulpher Springs. The name is a modification of
Springtown, the original name of the locality.
||Formerly Dayton, in Atoka county, 5 miles south of Atoka. Post office
name changed to Tushka, June 9, 1909. The name is the Choctaw word
||In southern Atoka county, 5 miles northeast of Kenefie. A post office
from January 16, 1906, to June 30, 1913. The name is the latin word
for mouth or voice.
||Site in Atoka county, 3 miles west of Wesley. A stage stop on the
Butterfield Overland Mail route to California which crossed southeastern
Oklahoma, 1858-1861. Later known as Roger's Station.
||Formerly Herbert, in northern Atoka county, 14 miles northeast of
Coalgate. Post office name changed to Wardville, July 18, 1907. Named
for H.P. Ward, territorial jurist.
||IN northern Atoka county, 10 miles south of Kiowa. A post office
from October 2, 1903, to May 15, 1955.
A lot of the information gathered on the towns above came from the book:
Oklahoma Place Names by George H. Shirk.
If you have information, pictures, or anything else for these towns please