Old Ardmore Historic District
founded in 1887 from Pickens County, Chickasaw Nation.
It was named by Santa Fe Railroad agents after Ardmore, Pennsylvania which had been named after Ardmore By-The-Sea, Ireland.
The post office
was established in October of the same year, but no city government or law
enforcement agency existed.
Non Indians could not vote, own land or operate a business without a license.
business in Ardmore was Samuel Zuckerman's general merchandise store.
The first drug store, owned by M. L. Jemison and John Alexander was also the first in the Chickasaw Nation.
1888 saw the
first church, the first school and the first newspaper. The church and the
school were located in the same building.
The church had a membership of 12, and is now the First United Methodist Church.
The school, King College, was what was known as a 'subscription' school. Subscription is known today as tuition.
In 1889 a
private bank was opened by two brothers: L. P and Charles Anderson.
The next year it received a national charter as First National Bank of Ardmore, I. T. (Indian Territory)
1890 saw the first session of court. Ardmore was the seat of the 3rd Division of the U.S. District Court for Indian Territory.
In 1895 the majority of the downtown area was destroyed by a fire. As a result, the fire department was established the next year.
There was still no city government but that was remedied in 1898 when Ardmore was incorporated as a charter city, with John Galt as it first mayor.
In 1899, the first public high school was established. It was the first public high school in either Indian Territory or Oklahoma Territory.
Oklahoma became the 46th state to join the union on November 16, 1907.
By the early part of the 20th Century, Ardmore was well established, with the largest population in Indian Territory.
base was cotton, and was the largest inland cotton market in the United States.
As the prairie soil depleted and cotton was no longer raised, the Healdton Oil Field was discovered and oil became the economic base for the community.
Daily Ardmoreite News - 1912
Oklahoma History/Butch Bridges
Ardmore Chamber of Commerce
Ardmore Army Airfield
The Courthouse Clock
17 August 2014