part of the OKGenWeb and USGenWeb Project
|Home | Cemeteries | Census | Lookups | Master_Index | Obits | Photos | Queries | Resources | Surnames | Towns in Atoka Co. | State Resources
|Atoka County in red.
|Red indicates counties with only a portion in Choctaw Nation.
Welcome to Atoka County, Oklahoma
This site is part of OkGenWeb and USGenWeb. On this website you can, view census records, peruse cemetery information, and much more.
ATOKA COUNTY HISTORY
Atoka County is located in south-eastern Oklahoma near the Texas border and settled in the mid-1800s, this county was first called Shappaway, with the county seat located at the Choctaw Court grounds on the banks of the Muddy Boggy River. The name was later changed to Atoka in honor of Captain Atoka, a noted Choctaw who led a band of his people to this area during the removal of the Five Civilized Tribes to Indian Territory.
Atoka, the county seat, was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Stage Road, the route followed when mail service began between Missouri and San Francisco in 1857. Boggy Depot, located in the western part of the county, served as an important trading post during early years and is now historic Boggy Depot State Park. Well known for its hunting and fishing, half its area is forested and contains several mountain streams and man-made lakes. It is the site of Oklahoma's largest rock quarry, which is located at Stringtown.
The county claims many firsts, including Oklahoma's first Masonic Lodge, first chapter of Eastern Star, and first Catholic Church in Indian Territory. Among the significant historical sites in the county are the First Oil Well in Oklahoma in the southwestern part of the county, the Middle Boggy Battlefield Site and Confederate Cemetery just north of Atoka and Waddell's Station, southwest of Wesley.
The first post office in Boggy Depot, Choctaw Nation was established November 5, 1849. Postmaster: William R. Guy.
"The Atoka County Oklahoma site is
dedicated to free online information"
New Atoka County Courthouse Old Atoka County Courthouse
Towns of Atoka County Past and Present
Boggy Depot Twp
|Bruno & Bur
|Calloway & Caney
|Caney Switch & Chickiechockie
|Chockie & Copeland
|Daisy & Dayton
|Farris & Geary Station
|Gertrude & Herbert
|Joburn & Lane
|Peck & Potapo
|Voca & Waddell's Station
|Wards Chapel & Wardville & Wesley
All of the information on this website belongs to the submitter. Do not link directly to any of the individual pages on this website. You may link to this homepage.
© 1996-2024 by J. M. Felihkatubbe, OKGenWeb ~ Atoka Co. Coordinator