|| Home | Archives | Cemeteries | Resources | Schools | Surnames
"Links to web sites that
are not part of the USGenWeb®
Project are provided for your
and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb® Project."
This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
Mr. H. B. Tompkins moved to what is was called Daylight in 1897 with his dad, Joe Tompkins. There were very few settlers there at that time. There was a log school house named Doaks. Mr. Gale taught at this school. His son, Albert Gale, later moved to Wynnewood, Daok was a subscription school and tuition was one dollar per month.
In 1903 Miss Roxie Hughes taught at Daylight and the community decided to build a school of its own. Miss Roxie was elected the first county superintendent of Garvin County. Sam Raggin gave the land for the school. H. B., Jim, and Joe Tompkins hauled all the lumber that went into the school building. J. E. Husted and Bob Jones built the school. They called the school Raggin. John Garnder taught the first school at Raggin in 1904. H. B. Tompkins, N. T. Morton and E. Mackey served on the first school board.
In 1907 the statehood bill was signed and the county was divided into school districts and Raggin was not large enough to quality. The community took bids at this time and got a contractor to build a new school. Richard and Bessie Martin taught the first term in 1908. The school was named Daylight because it was so far back in the woods that people remarked that you could not see anything but daylight. From 1908 to 1946, the Daylight school house was the social center of the neighborhood. By 1946, the number of children attending school was so small that the school was annexed to Wynnewood.
In 1949, the Daylight church was disbanded and its members joined the church of their choice in Wynnewood and many of the older residents moved to Wynnewood. In 1950, a group of women met in the home of Mrs. Floyd Diller and organized a home-demonstration club. They secured and remodeled the abandoned school building as a community center.
This document was last modified on:
Hosted & ©2024
Garvin County Coordinator:
OKGenWeb State Coordinator
Asst: Mel Owings
© 1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved
|NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.