Return to Towns Index
This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The first school in Mexican Springs was two miles east and five miles north of Wynnewood, It was called Schikiki and was taught by Mrs. Hotchkin, a Presbyterian Missionary. E. C. Lael and Rushie Lael Rouse, W. H. Stewart, the Walner children, C hisholms and Stantons were among the students. The school was moved to Wynnewood when the railroad came through. The Chickasaw government paid all tuition and board and also a part of Mrs. Hotchkin's salary.
The next school was built around 1890. It was located four miles north and three-fourths east of Wynnewood near a live spring. A Mexican family lived there, hence the name. this was a subscription school. Early teachers were John H. Vaughan, Suzie Belvins, Lyla Ridings and W. H. Stewart. This school burned in 1910.
A new building was built one-half mile northeast of the burned school and was located on Charles F. Smith's allotment land. He deeded one and one-half acres to J. F. Crabtree, R. D. Stanton and Albert Brown, school trustees of District 20 of Garvin County on August 8, 1912. This was a frame building heated with wood and lighted with tallow candles and oil, then later with electricity. This school was annexed to Wynnewood in 1942. The building was sold at public auction and was torn down and the wood used for the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ray McCallon at the east edge of Wynnewood. J. E. Wilson then used the school land for pasture.
Some of the early settlers were Nancy Stewart, Noah Lael, Hensleys, Trapp, Cornriders, and Walners. J. E. Wilson chaired the project to bring rural electricity to Mexican Springs in 1938.
This document was last modified on: