Nahola was made up of people living on land that was allotments from the government to Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians. The land was allotments to S. M. White, son-in-law of Cyrus Harris, first Governor of the Chickasaw Nation, and Walner.

The first school in Nahola was called "Buttermilk".  It was a government school and was financed by the Muskogee Indian Agency.  After Buttermilk, came the old Rock School house built of concrete block and rocks.  The name Hanhol meaning White Man was given by S. M. White.  There was a school for the Blacks three miles east and one north of Wynnewood.  In 1909 or 1910, when Blacks had all moved from this area the old rock building was moved from the first location to the location of the Black school.  Two acres in Section 5, 2 north and 2 east, were deeded from the Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations to School District 24 in 1910. This new school was a two room school, built of the same material used in the first Nahola School giving it the nickname of Rock school.  The building was also the community center and was used for church and Sunday school.  This school was annexed to Wynnewood in 1950.

The first school board members were S. M. White, W. H. Stewart and Ed Johnston.   Some of the first teachers were Nora Seaton, Mrs. Howell and Dora Himes.  Morey, Williams, Chestnuts and Tompkins were later teachers.

In 1909 Harry H. White had a ninety acre orchard, eighty acres of peaches and ten of pears.

Return to Towns Index

This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.

This document was last modified on: