|| Home | Archives | Cemeteries | Resources | Schools | Surnames
"Links to web sites that
are not part of the USGenWeb®
Project are provided for your
and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb® Project."
Return to Towns Index
This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
Purdy is located six miles southeast of Erin Springs and lies in the rich Washita Valley bottomland. Once an active community, it was established in the 1880's and its post office started in 1892 and operated until 1918. Purdy was named after the first postmaster, R.S. Purdy. There was a cotton gin, about two general stores, a school and church. Because of the rich soil for growing cotton, farmers were attracted to the area. Modern progress has caused the decline of this community which now has only a cemetery, a few buildings, and some farming families.