Daylight School
District 54

Return to School Pictures

This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.


Mr. H. B. Tompkins moved to what is was called Daylight in 1897 with his dad, Joe Tompkins. There were very few settlers there at that time. There was a log school house named Doaks. Mr. Gale taught at this school. His son, Albert Gale, later moved to Wynnewood, Daok was a subscription school and tuition was one dollar per month.
In 1903 Miss Roxie Hughes taught at Daylight and the community decided to build a school of its own. Miss Roxie was elected the first county superintendent of Garvin County. Sam Raggin gave the land for the school. H. B., Jim, and Joe Tompkins hauled all the lumber that went into the school building. J. E. Husted and Bob Jones built the school. They called the school Raggin. John Garnder taught the first school at Raggin in 1904. H. B. Tompkins, N. T. Morton and E. Mackey served on the first school board.
In 1907 the statehood bill was signed and the county was divided into school districts and Raggin was not large enough to quality. The community took bids at this time and got a contractor to build a new school. Richard and Bessie Martin taught the first term in 1908. The school was named Daylight because it was so far back in the woods that people remarked that you could not see anything but daylight. From 1908 to 1946, the Daylight school house was the social center of the neighborhood. By 1946, the number of children attending school was so small that the school was annexed to Wynnewood.
In 1949, the Daylight church was disbanded and its members joined the church of their choice in Wynnewood and many of the older residents moved to Wynnewood. In 1950, a group of women met in the home of Mrs. Floyd Diller and organized a home-demonstration club. They secured and remodeled the abandoned school building as a community center.

daylightschool.jpg (38443 bytes)

Mrs. Nina Miller's 1926-1927 class at Daylight School.  Students are (top row)Velma Carter, Tresae Henderson, Mable Pettigrew, Bill Yandell, Opal Layton, Ruby Holder, Elsie Claxton, Delsie Claxton, Ollie Mae Yandell, Bessie Knight, Lessie Knight, (bottom row) Lena Wilson, Ruby Ollis, Ruth Layton, Beatrice Holder, Cleo Shumake, Jessie Claxzton, Lola Walker, Sterling Tompkins, Woodrow Claxton and Cletus Layton.

This document was last modified on: